Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

"Cigarette Lighter" up front and "permanently" affixing things to dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Default "Cigarette Lighter" up front and "permanently" affixing things to dash

I notice that things pluged in to the "cigarette lighter" don't turn off when I shut the car off. I've never really used anything other than a cell phone charger, which I unplug every time, but I just picked up a GPS device which will primarilly stay plugged in. I assume if I leave it plugged in all the time, it'll drain my battery, correct? I believe some cars kill the power to the "lighter" when they are off, but the Montes don't seem to be one. I just wanted to confirm in case I am wrong.

Also, are mounts for GPS/Satelite Radios/etc. really permanent? In other words, can you remove them without damage to your dash? I know the one I installed for my mother had some sort of solution or something to help remove it although it was a "permanent" fixture. Has anyone had experience with this? I am considering placing one on the plastic just above the harzard light button if I think it can stay out of the way of my hands on the wheel. My location on the windshield near the mirror now is decent but I find when I'm turning right I really want to see what's behind the GPS.

As always your wealth of knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Default RE: "Cigarette Lighter" up front and "permanently" affixing things to dash

Not sure about the Mounting question, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

But Yes the lighter always has power to it.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Default RE: "Cigarette Lighter" up front and "permanently" affixing things to dash

Could you possibly install a relay or something so that when your car turns off, so does it. I dunno if that makes sense at all.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Farfig

Could you possibly install a relay or something so that when your car turns off, so does it. I dunno if that makes sense at all.
I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know how to do something like that?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Well, I'm not an electrical expert, but I'm sure that would be possible.

However, the way I was thinking about it would be to change where it wires into, as in cut the wires, and connect it to something that is only on when the key is turned on.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM

thats what i was thinking too epic. I first thought of a switch, that way you could decide if you want it on or not. It just depends on your needs i guess

Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 PM

that sounds like a good place to put one....
https://montecarloforum.com/photo.as...=6&apage=1
i have no idea what if anything bad will happen if i take it off though, but i dont think i ever will...

to power mine i hacked the feed for the blower motor control and added a pair of outlets that i tucked up behind/under the dash, just below the hvac controls.
...now i wish i just had jumped into the radios power so i would of had the retained accessory power like the radio gets, but at the time i was thinking about adding something else and wanted the higher amperage circuit...

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 PM

2000ls has got it. you want to have it only have power with the key turned? thats not a problem.... think of the things you turn on with the key, mainly, the radio. you can pull out the radio and hook it up to the raw 12v power going into the radio (splice and connect then power and neg) or, you can also run it to the acc on the key turn, so, if you turn he key a little to get the car power or all the way on... bam! it now has allowed the circuit to open, giving it power.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 PM

I plug my Radar detector into the "Power Plug" (Political correctness ... even though they offer a Lighter and a Bucket for "Smokers Options") ... My accessories stay ON after I remove the key ... But, go OFF the instant I open the door to get-out of the car.

I'm not too sure if the Radar Detector goes off or not. I really don't turn it on all that much ... until I'm on the highway and the speeds are Cruising at 75 MPH or Higher.

Although your GPS runs on 12 Volts ... the Microprocessor is only pulling milli-Amps. I doubt if you forgot to unplug it it would run down the Battery.

In Boston, If you forget to unplug it ... you don't have to worry about the Battery being run down. You need to worry about the bad weather getting in the broken window and snow accumulating up to the spot where your GPS Unit used to be!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Brilliant suggestions! I'll have to explore these options.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: "Cigarette Lighter" up front and "permanently" affixing things to dash