Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Headlights will not turn off..... sometimes. 2006 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Default Headlights will not turn off..... sometimes. 2006 SS

The headlights sometimes will not turn off in my 2006 SS. I end up removing the battery cable to keep my battery from going dead, which really sucks.
When this happens, the headlight switch will not turn the headlights off. I brought the car to the dealership and they said there was no problem, so I brought it back a second time to have them replace the headlight switch and see if that fixed the problem. When I picked the car up the second time they said the problem was the BCM, not the headlight switch. So I brought it back a third time and had them install a new BCM..... and the problem is still not fixed. Now I have a new BCM and a new headlight switch, but even still the headlights will not turn off with the new switch.....
What is there left to replace other than the relay? Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Old 12-08-2022, 09:25 AM

Little more info to add- when I picked up the car I noticed a "service airbag" error message in the dash that I've never seen before. Then this morning my remote start wouldn't work because I now have trouble codes I've never had before- a P1682 and a P0690. ugh.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:59 AM
Unhappy Update

Dropped the car off at the dealer again and this time they said they found a bad fuse socket in the fuse box, which they repaired by soldering it. The car seemed good for about a day, and now the head lights will not turn off at all. I have to pull the battery cable every time I park now..... so tired of this!

Also a little disappointing that no one on this website has had any input on this whatsoever.....

Old 12-23-2022, 09:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Monte.

As for no one responding, keep in mind, we have limited members with knowledge on the 06-07 years of Monte Carlo (and GM made a LOT of changes between the transition from 05 to 06). Sadly, because of the age of these cars, this forum has a limited amount of active members, plus December with all the holidays. For most of our active members, the 2000-2005 has the most knowledge available.

If I were to guess at your headlights not turning off, sounds like 1 of two things:
- A bad headlight switch
- Then that shop did the repairs to the fuse panel, they now bridged connection they shouldn't have, resulting in the headlight condition.

If this is a condition that started RIGHT after the shop messed with the fuse panel, then I am going to lean on they did something by accident.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gener
The headlights sometimes will not turn off in my 2006 SS. I end up removing the battery cable to keep my battery from going dead, which really sucks.
When this happens, the headlight switch will not turn the headlights off. I brought the car to the dealership and they said there was no problem, so I brought it back a second time to have them replace the headlight switch and see if that fixed the problem. When I picked the car up the second time they said the problem was the BCM, not the headlight switch. So I brought it back a third time and had them install a new BCM..... and the problem is still not fixed. Now I have a new BCM and a new headlight switch, but even still the headlights will not turn off with the new switch.....
What is there left to replace other than the relay? Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
If I were you I would join the GM Truck Club forum, there’s a larger group over there and they always help me with my 03 Monte. I very seldom visit this site anymore because the GM truck forum helps me with my 03 truck and my Monte. I hope that I am not hurting anyones feelings on here with that statement. I want to tell that they can be a tough crew when you don’t give them the information they need to help you.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gener
Also a little disappointing that no one on this website has had any input on this whatsoever.....
The hard part is that your issue isn't a common one where we can just easily say 'replace item X'. In the abscenece of that, someone needs to get in there and troubleshoot the system - something we really can't do remotely.

If it were my car, I'd pull the wiring diagrams for that system, break out the multimeter and start checking. The bad thing is that doing that level of diagnosis requires someone with an understanding of diagrams, multimeter, and basic electronics functionality. TBH I've tried to walk members through that process before and it ends up being a frustrating mess for us both parties.

Have you isolated the relay and 100% confirmed proper operation? Do the headlights stay on when the relay is removed from the system (ie is it being cross fed power from somewhere downstream? Thatll at least isolate the part of the system as a first step.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-29-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The hard part is that your issue isn't a common one where we can just easily say 'replace item X'. In the abscenece of that, someone needs to get in there and troubleshoot the system - something we really can't do remotely.

If it were my car, I'd pull the wiring diagrams for that system, break out the multimeter and start checking. The bad thing is that doing that level of diagnosis requires someone with an understanding of diagrams, multimeter, and basic electronics functionality. TBH I've tried to walk members through that process before and it ends up being a frustrating mess for us both parties.

Have you isolated the relay and 100% confirmed proper operation? Do the headlights stay on when the relay is removed from the system (ie is it being cross fed power from somewhere downstream? Thatll at least isolate the part of the system as a first step.
. I agree with you, he will have to be able to use a Fluke meter and have a little knowledge about electrical. I wasn’t bashing the site. I was only trying to help the person. I very seldom come here because I have two trucks and a Monte I use as a work car. My 2003 Monte has 2114,000 miles on it and when I retire in a few years it will be around 350,000. I’m certain it’s going to get me to retirement. I might even keep it after I retire. My last 1999 Monte had 399,940 miles on it and I still sold it for $100 because someone wanted the resonator off of it.

Last edited by Mike Palatka; 12-29-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Palatka
. I wasn’t bashing the site. I was only trying to help the person.
I definitely get it, and I wasnt intending for my response to be negative towards you either. Ive done the same myself (refer people to other forums for specific issues / research) in areas that we just don't have the expertise.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I definitely get it, and I wasnt intending for my response to be negative towards you either. Ive done the same myself (refer people to other forums for specific issues / research) in areas that we just don't have the expertise.
No problem, I wasn’t offended,