Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gas type

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Gas type

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

Most hi out put/ hi horse engines need at least 93 octane
87 or 89 octane will cause pre ignition.
I think the simplest answer is to have a compression test doneand then post your compression.

We'll let you know what kind of gas and additives to use.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:42 PM

and how would I go about a compression test? any local sorta shop? I am going to put prem in to start with and see what happens.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: saluteTOme

and how would I go about a compression test? any local sorta shop? I am going to put prem in to start with and see what happens.
ANY mechanic!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM

Well forgive me if I'm posting old news but here is the scoop on gas....

The short of it is that you should be running low octane gas.... "Regular" if you will, Its allways a good idea to use gas from a reputable company (Shell kicks ***) because there gas seems to be cleaner and leaves less build up on valves and other internals....

As for why well here you go.... Higher octane gas burns slower to compansate for real high compression...So putting higher octane gas in a regular engine will just gunk up your motor....higher octane gas works real well in superchared or turbo charged vehicals because of the higher compression and the air coming into the engine is coming in at a higher volume and velocity.... (this is why some cars require premium.)

After all is said and done, if a car requires premium you must put it in and nothing less....If a car isnt built to those specs then you can put premium or say Turbo blue in but your wasting money and actully shortining the life of some of your parts especailly those involved in the emissions process.

This is my understanding of octane and the difference in applications

For those who are curious i have a few examples that support this theory but will save it for those who inquire via PM

Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MonteSS2001

Well forgive me if I'm posting old news but here is the scoop on gas....

The short of it is that you should be running low octane gas.... "Regular" if you will, Its allways a good idea to use gas from a reputable company (Shell kicks ***) because there gas seems to be cleaner and leaves less build up on valves and other internals....

As for why well here you go.... Higher octane gas burns slower to compansate for real high compression...So putting higher octane gas in a regular engine will just gunk up your motor....higher octane gas works real well in superchared or turbo charged vehicals because of the higher compression and the air coming into the engine is coming in at a higher volume and velocity.... (this is why some cars require premium.)

After all is said and done, if a car requires premium you must put it in and nothing less....If a car isnt built to those specs then you can put premium or say Turbo blue in but your wasting money and actully shortining the life of some of your parts especailly those involved in the emissions process.

This is my understanding of octane and the difference in applications

For those who are curious i have a few examples that support this theory but will save it for those who inquire via PM
He beat me to it. This is the best and most correct answer so far.

Doing the compression test is a great idea as well as it will allow you to zone in on the exact octane.

As long as the timing isn't advanced to far ahead you should be safe as well.

Otherwise the other option is just run it full out, if you chuck a piston then you weren't running high enough octane.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:40 AM

that leads me to my other question...how you do the timing if it's an electronic distributor on an older engine? The ingition system is more up to date then the engine and I havn't read up yet how to do the timing.