Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gas type

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Default Gas type

I was just sittng here looking around at things for the my monte and a thought came to my mind...what kind of gas should be used? I know I been having running problems but I thought and still more or less think it's just to ignition and tuning and such, but should the 1966 327 use a higher grade gas? I can only find "gasoline" under the gas type. It doesn't say anything about octane. I figure it's regular, but since there has been a bit of work done to it, should i put plus or prem in? My thought is it might be running like such cause of lower octane gas.

What you guys think?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Gas type

where are u at? i thought all pumps in the US were legally required to have a big yellow octane sticker next to the nozzle/selection buttons...somewhere obvious on the pump

Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000LS

where are u at? i thought all pumps in the US were legally required to have a big yellow octane sticker next to the nozzle/selection buttons...somewhere obvious on the pump
I think you got confused. It has nothign to do with the pumps...I wanna know what grade to actually put into the engine

Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM

well you could just go ahead and try it, but lower octane actually ignites easier and contains more BTUs, only reason to run higher octane is if its knocking.(i'm sure others will say otherwise)

also, u have a known good carb? other engine u can try it on? good carb u can borrow to see if it helps?
just ask because i've known so many ppl that go through this, but are convinced thier carb is fine, try everything else first spending as much money as a new carb, then finally borrow a known good carb off a good running car to have it solve thier problems, and then get a new carb.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Well I know there is more to higher octane gas, but i wont get into that

I have a Holley carb so I know it;s a good carb

Old 06-13-2007, 09:21 PM

octane=anti-knock
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.shtm

holleys are good carbs
guy i work with has 2 80s full size trucks both with holleys, couldnt seem to ever get either truck to run like he wanted, threw lots of parts are em, finally he borrowed a holley off his dads 70s vette that was runnin great, put it on one of his trucks... truck ran great.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 PM

My dad has a 69 dart 340 engine and will only putSHELL high octane in it becasue if he does not it will "run on" after he turns it off or will run crapy and will have less power.

Also if you have a higher compression engine then you should run high octane is what i have always been told not sure if its true though

Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 AM

I would run the higher octane

Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

personally in your car i would just be running 87, or 89@ most, those cars already burn through enough gas, putting premium in in those isn't going to do much i dont think

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Even though gas is out of control, I am not too worried about it...I wont be and havn't been driving it much. I rather fork over the money to have it run well then nickle and dime and have it not run to what it can do. Thats going to be on my do to list. Drain the gas tank and start putting in preium. Just enough to see how it runs at 1st.
I know the engine has fuelie double hump heads....I can only guess that it has aftermarket pistons and rods.

Quick Reply: Gas type