Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Front Sway/Stabilizer Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:06 PM

That's it Jackson, same one/part number for the link I listed. Be interested to see if the units come with the three bushing I listed or something else. I've got the number to call Moog, I'll probably give them a call on Wednesday after the holiday to verify. Thanks!!

Old 07-04-2023, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know under the skin, the 2006-2007 is the same chassis as the 2000-2005 Monte. It's just new drive train options, different fenders/bumpers/wiring/interior. But some times GM has been known to throw a weird curve ball (like I thought MAYBE the sway bar is a different design because they put something in the way of the original). But, I looked up the Dorman sway bar and they claim it fits all 2000-2007 Montes. That being said, GM probably had no changes to impact the sway bar and the ZZP one will work just fine.

As for the Spherical bushing I mentioned it is MOOG K200787:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7532&jsn=959

I recently put a set on the 2000 Black Monte I have (using Dorman control arms). Here are links to specific posts about it:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...e5/#post731563
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...e5/#post732059

Old 07-05-2023, 02:24 PM

I called Moog and they indeed verified that their 'problem solver' bushings (the 3 part numbers in my previous post) were indeed what was in the complete lower control arms that Jackson listed. That's a no-brainer to me from Rockauto; about the same price as buying all 3 bushings and you don't have to mess with pressing the old ones out and putting the new ones in. Looks like I'm ordering some new parts again. I guess it's never ending upgrading. Thanks guys, although my wife and my wallet aren't very happy, I am LOL!

Old 07-05-2023, 08:59 PM

10 Year Member

If that is true that Moog RK620675 and RK620676 have the updated vertical bushing, then RockAuto needs to update there catalog. The pics still show the old rubber bushing and the description makes no reference to the use of the spherical bushing. The term "Problem Solver" is what Moog advertises all their products as (that is not exclusive to the spherical bushing). Even looking at Moog's link, no mention of the spherical bushing. I am wondering if the rep at Moog did not understand the question. If you are wanting my recommendation on the bushing, you need this (K200787):
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7532&jsn=956

This link goes more indepth about it:
https://www.moogparts.com/technical/...g-failure.html

Listings for the control arm:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=10401&jsn=958
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk620675

If you receive the control amrs and they DON'T have what looks like a rubber dust boot over the highlighted bushing and has the two slots, it is a regular rubber bushing.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:45 AM

Maniac, I too questioned the Moog rep to make sure he understood the question. Jackson, did you install the control arms yet? Take any pics? Did you notice if it had a spherical bushing or the standard rubber bushing?

The good news is if Jackson can't confirm, I can order via my good friends at Amazon. Then send back for free if it's not what I want.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-06-2023, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by MonteSS007
Maniac, I too questioned the Moog rep to make sure he understood the question. Jackson, did you install the control arms yet? Take any pics? Did you notice if it had a spherical bushing or the standard rubber bushing?

The good news is if Jackson can't confirm, I can order via my good friends at Amazon. Then send back for free if it's not what I want.

Thanks guys!

passenger side went in well; no pics yet. If ur talking ab the front most bushing that connects to the subframe - it looks pretty typical. HOWEVER; I noticed some slits in the design of the bushing to allow for some flex/bend. The ball joint itself also looks typical. I’m not exactly sure what you guys are looking for - but the MOOG control arms from rockauto are fully loaded and ready to go.

right now I’m dealing with the driver side ball joint. The tie rods and sway bar are completely out; ran into a few snags and didn’t have the time or money to keep going at that moment. Getting a ball joint separator and gonna pop that sucker out with an impact. My weekend warrior project is gonna end up taking a couple weekends 😭😂

will keep you guys posted with install this weekend; I should have this puppy put back together Sunday night. Knock on wood lol

Old 07-09-2023, 06:46 AM

Hello everyone! I was able to get my driver side control arm installed finally! I also was able to get the stabilizer bar shimmied in to its home - I didn’t touch the subframe bolts because I just didn’t want to deal with that; I know my limits for now.

I need to pop my tie rods in, adjust/tighten the stabilizer bar, and finish it off with the stabilizer links. This has certainly been a painstaking process but I think it will be worth it when I’m finished completely.

here’s a few pics so far - the flash on my phone was acting up so I apologize for the poorly lit photo.

ZZP/Stock sway bar comparison

ZZP/Stock sway bar comparison

New Control Arm (I used Dorman electrical zip ties to hold the cables to the new control arm)

Old 07-11-2023, 09:02 PM

10 Year Member

I can tell by your description and now pics, those Moog control arms are using the stock spec bushings (factory original bushings on W-Bodies have those slots you mentioned). When I rebuilt aluminum control arms on my Grand Am (N-Body), I used Moog rubber bushings (and on those cars, they are solid), they failed both inside the warranty time.
I get that they are fully loaded, which is awesome to just slam them in.... And I am sure those will last a long while (OEM ones survive for quite a while), but I feel the vehicle both gets a performance upgrade and longevity upgrade from those Moog spherical bushings. The car I have had those spherical bushings on the longest is my grand am. Over 30k miles, been on there since August of 2019. As long as Moog offers this design, I will press out crap rubber bushings to swap with these any day. And I used the loan-a-tool press from AutoZone. A little goofing with it, but I got it to do the job without any real headaches.

Since you already have those control arms installed, I doubt you have interest in that upgrade, so something to keep in mind for the future.

The shiny new swap bar looks nice

Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM

Jackson, looks like you had almost as busy of a weekend as I did. We did some of the same stuff. Luckily, I had a friend and we burned a lot of hours over 5 days. Here's a list of stuff I improved or replaced once I got under the car and saw how rusted the suspension components were:

Upgrades:
Don Rome Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, great fit!
ZZP front sway bar w/Moog poly bushings. No fitment issues; original sway bar was broke at both ends (see pic)
ZZP coil overs; camber and toe good, caster is a little off-thoughts anyone?
ZZP billet dog bone w/poly mount
Moog loaded lower control arms; removed and pressed in the Moog spherical bushing (K200787; thanks Maniac; you were right the Moog guy was totally wrong lol!)
ZZP trailing arms
BMR forward and rear lateral arms, both fully adjustable
ZZP adjustable rear sway link
ZZP rear sway bar DID NOT FIT! Still going back and forth with ZZP on why. The original rear sway bar had position of bushings at 5 1/4" from either end of sway bar; the ZZP one I got were way off of that! Approximately 5" on one side and 7" on the other???
18" x 8" w/41 offset Velox Silver Mantra wheels and 245/45r18 Firestone Firehawk AS v2 tires

OE Replacements
Front outer tie rods and hubs (both bad, probably need to replace the rear hubs soon)
Replaced brake pads; all brakes have issues and I'll be looking to upgrade pads and rotors at a minimum, probably calipers as well (that will be a separate post)
Replaced 2/3 lower engine mounts (trans mount was collapsed; hydraulic mount looks OK and wasn't in stock)
Replaced left CV axle should have done right when I was there as well.

Now getting rusted wheel wells/rear quarter panels repaired. I'll get some nice complete car pics in a week or so.