Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Front Sway/Stabilizer Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 06:43 AM
Default Front Sway/Stabilizer Bar

07 SS 5.3L

(New Member - looking forward to meeting you guys!)

I bought new MOOG lower control arms and tie rods (inner and outer) for both sides. While getting it apart I found out my front sway bar was broke lol. I wanted something affordable and reputable - so I went with the ZZP one. I’m starting to wonder if maybe that sway bar was only meant for V6 models? On the reviews, someone had mentioned using it on their 07 SS - and I just needed the part so I ordered it without too much thought 😂 the part hasn’t shipped yet to my knowledge.

for the record; I have had NOTHING but issues when trying to search for parts at Advance, AutoZone, and ORs. Whether it be human error or a computer/system error; I always end up with the wrong crap. 😑

Old 06-28-2023, 06:43 PM

I'm a newbie with an '07 SS as well, and I called ZZP. They said it was NOT compatible with the SS/5.3L. They specified it was ONLY compatible with the 3800 engine models. I was hoping to upgrade my front sway bar as well, but didn't order. If anyone has installed an upgraded front sway bar on an '06-'07 SS with the 5.3L V8, let me/us know. Thanks!!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:20 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ZZP advice

Monte 007: Just to give you some insight of different types of advice. I had a 2009 Impala with a 3.5L and a 2007 SS with a 5.3L - I took them both to my friends shop and upgraded both sway bars on both cars - this is what I did. I removed the sway bar off the impala - bar and bushings and threw them away . Then I took the bar and bushings off the 5.3L SS and put it on the impala - a direct fit - if you change the bushings too. The diameter of the 07 ss is 34 mm I think and the 3.5L is 32mm so you have to change the bushings or it won't fit. ZZP was right it is not a fit - unless you change the bushings too. Did they tell you that? the two clamps for both are identical.. Now I have the 5.3 with no bar. The sway bars on both are hollow. So what I did is buy a solid 34 mm bar for the 07 5.3 which is an upgrade and for the bushings I upgraded to polyurethane BUSHINGS for the 34 mm bar which is the exact same diameter as a stock one - only solid - a much better bar and better bushings. The upgrade on the '07 was a direct fit - no changes necessary or fab work. Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:33 PM

So ZZP front sway bar with 34mm poly bushings should be an upgrade/direct fit for my '07 SS 5.3L Monte Carlo, correct? I thought so but ZZP said no. Shows what they know about the 5.3L Monte Carlo. Let me know I'm correct on the front sway bar and poly bushings. Thanks so much!!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:41 PM

What about the front poly sway bar end links-worth it for $13.99???

Polyurethane sway bar end links for your front sway bar. Fits: 97-03 Grand Prix 97-04 Buick Regal 00+ Impala 00-07 Monte Carlo Sold as a Pair Does not work on 2004+ Grand Prix.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Monte SSV
Monte 007: Just to give you some insight of different types of advice. I had a 2009 Impala with a 3.5L and a 2007 SS with a 5.3L - I took them both to my friends shop and upgraded both sway bars on both cars - this is what I did. I removed the sway bar off the impala - bar and bushings and threw them away . Then I took the bar and bushings off the 5.3L SS and put it on the impala - a direct fit - if you change the bushings too. The diameter of the 07 ss is 34 mm I think and the 3.5L is 32mm so you have to change the bushings or it won't fit. ZZP was right it is not a fit - unless you change the bushings too. Did they tell you that? the two clamps for both are identical.. Now I have the 5.3 with no bar. The sway bars on both are hollow. So what I did is buy a solid 34 mm bar for the 07 5.3 which is an upgrade and for the bushings I upgraded to polyurethane BUSHINGS for the 34 mm bar which is the exact same diameter as a stock one - only solid - a much better bar and better bushings. The upgrade on the '07 was a direct fit - no changes necessary or fab work. Hope this helps.
my new sway bar comes in today so I will give it a shot. It comes with new links but I also picked up new links from ORs a little while ago. I’m hoping I have all of the stuff I need to tackle this project - I will keep you guys posted this weekend and early next week.

Edit: u said bushings not links. So, to be clear, I need to find some OEM (or oe-style) rubber bushings (for my 07 ss) because the ones included with the ZZP sway bar will not work?

Last edited by Jackson88; 06-29-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would truly be surprised if a ZZP front sway bar did not fit the FWD LS4. To the best of my knowledge, the front sway bars are the same. I would want to assume ZZP knows better about their product.

Side note, if you ever mess with front lower control arms, I highly recommend getting rid of the rubber vertical bushing and upgrade to the Moog spherical bushing. I have a set of those on two Montes and my Grand Am. AWESOME product!

Old 07-03-2023, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I would truly be surprised if a ZZP front sway bar did not fit the FWD LS4. To the best of my knowledge, the front sway bars are the same. I would want to assume ZZP knows better about their product.

Side note, if you ever mess with front lower control arms, I highly recommend getting rid of the rubber vertical bushing and upgrade to the Moog spherical bushing. I have a set of those on two Montes and my Grand Am. AWESOME product!
the ZZP sway bar is looking to be a fit - I’m not seeing any issues so far. I will double check that the hardware included (bushings, links, and bolts) will all be the correct size and thread before I start putting everything back together.

The 06 and 07 montes are just “renewed” versions of the 3800 series or 6th gen ones. I am very confident that this sway bar would fit any V6 models 2000-2007 no questions asked (3.8, 3.9, 3.5, what have you). I truly don’t think there will be any issues with the LS4 - but I cannot confirm 100% because the company told someone else otherwise. I will keep y’all posted with my install and alignment afterward.

The moog control arms that I went with came fully loaded with bushings and ball joint - I’ll have to try to attach a picture to see if it’s the same ones you are referring to.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:03 PM

Damn, so many awesome options! Thanks guys.

Maniac, you don't happen to know the Moog part # for the spherical bushings for the lower front control arms? Is this it:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k200787

They also have two more sets of bushings for the control arms:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k6715
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k671

Jackson, is this the Moog control arm (one of two):
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk620675

If it comes with all three of the above bushings already installed it's a no-brainer. Let me know if you could.

I've got a ton of suspension stuff I'm supposed to install this weekend, including the ZZP sway bars (both front and back, with poly bushings), ZZP coil overs, ZZP trailing arms, BMR lateral arms, Don Rome strut tower braces (front and rear) and more. I'll take some pics and let everyone know how everything turned out and how it feels.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MonteSS007
Damn, so many awesome options! Thanks guys.

Maniac, you don't happen to know the Moog part # for the spherical bushings for the lower front control arms? Is this it:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k200787

They also have two more sets of bushings for the control arms:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k6715
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k671

Jackson, is this the Moog control arm (one of two):
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk620675

If it comes with all three of the above bushings already installed it's a no-brainer. Let me know if you could.

I've got a ton of suspension stuff I'm supposed to install this weekend, including the ZZP sway bars (both front and back, with poly bushings), ZZP coil overs, ZZP trailing arms, BMR lateral arms, Don Rome strut tower braces (front and rear) and more. I'll take some pics and let everyone know how everything turned out and how it feels.
These are the ones I got off rock auto. I believe the part number should also be the same or similar on the moog website.

2007 Monte Carlo SS 5.3L LS4

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Front Sway/Stabilizer Bar