Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front End Noise???HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front End Noise???HELP!

I have a 03 Monte Carlo SS with 78K miles. I recently have being hearing a noise on the front drivers side. I do not believe it is the ISS shaft because I recently had that problem and greased it (from the help on this forum) and the noise went away. This is a different noise, but it does seem to happen at low speeds, between 5-35mph. The noise is a cunk, cunk cunk cunk sound and the noise speeds up as I the car does. The problem is is doesn't do it all the time. I might drive 50 miles and never hear it, then I hear it for 20 miles. Honestly, it sounds like the serpentine belt is off and is hitting the hood, and as I increase speed/rpm the noise gets louder. Obviously, it is not the belt, but to give you an idea of the noise. I thought it might be the rotor, but I changed pad and rotors about 5k ago. and when I brake the noise doesn't change.

When it comes to Front wheel drive I will admit, I am not very educated. Could it be the shaft that turns from the motor to drive the front wheels? I do not see any grease zerks under the front end, should I be greasing something? I push down on the front end and the strut seems to rebound fine. I am positive it is coming from the driver side front end. I am just frustrated because I can't repeat the sound when I am looking at it in the garage.

Thanks,

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Next time it is happening I would set the e-brake, put it on jack stands, pop the hood start it up, put it in gear and get out and investigate a few things. If you have a friend with a shop and a lift that is safer, but this is the poor mans way. You might be able to get right to the problem, a automotive grade stethoscope helps pin point the odd source for knocks etc. A friend on hand would help to work the accelerator, turn the steering wheel, go through the gears etc.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your CV axles. If they're missing grease or if they're bad, they'll make a terrible noise.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Default CV Axles

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Check your CV axles. If they're missing grease or if they're bad, they'll make a terrible noise.
Can you elaborate on CV axles? What are they and how do I grease them?

Thanks,

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

He means the drive axels up front that go from the trans to the front wheel bearings. There is a sealed rubber boot over the joints that is filled with grease. If the boot tears or cracks and the grease comes out or dirt gets in, the joint inside can go bad. You cant re-grease them. You just have to replace them.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Default CV Axles

Originally Posted by mrl390
He means the drive axels up front that go from the trans to the front wheel bearings. There is a sealed rubber boot over the joints that is filled with grease. If the boot tears or cracks and the grease comes out or dirt gets in, the joint inside can go bad. You cant re-grease them. You just have to replace them.
Any good way to test these?

How hard is the removal and installation? I am pretty good with repairs, but need to know what I am getting my self into.

Thanks,