Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Default Front end noise

Any body ever deal with something like this?
On my 2001 SS I have a "clunking" noise coming from somewhere underneath. It only does it whenI accelerate or brake. Not while driving, coasting, turning,speedbumps. Only pulling away from a stop or right before I come to a stop while braking. I have looked all over under the car while using my prybars to see if I can locate a loose bushing or anything, but so far no luck. I have put my wife in the car while it's idling and I have checked everything from motor mounts to the aluminum subframe. Everything seems tight. For giggles today, I replaced a "dirty" strut mount, but still the noise persists.
Any ideas would be awsome. I am getting so frustrated.
Thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Front end noise

sounds like the intermediate steering shaft to me. theres a number of other posts on this topic you can search for. gm makes a lube kit for it, which will typicly fix it, however i've heard the noise may eventually come back, but the lube kit is alot cheaper than a new shaft.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Hmm.. I dont think this would be it as he said this was not an issue with turning. Ive had one replaced in my old 04 Malibu, and one done two days ago in the 06MC..

Perhaps:

CV Joints? Try to rotate them by hand to hear if they are worn.
Sticky rotor?

Sounds like its something between the tranny and the tires..

I would guess a sticky rotor/pads. Have yoru wife drive the car and walk beside it as she breaks. You might be able to hear or see the culprit. Personally Id take the tires off and give it a good blast of brake cleaner and a light sanding and see if that cures the clunk.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:26 PM

the intermidiate steering shaft is telescopic. when the body flexes it changes length by a fraction of an inch. the ones that make noise are binding. just taping the brake or gas can cause enough body flex to put a bad steering shaft into a bind and make noise.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I have had both front wheels off and did not see anything suspect. But like you said, I did wash down rotors/calipers just in case, and I had also put the car in gear with the T/C turned off and could'nt hear anything.

That stearing shaft issue sounds like my issue. Like you said, I think the body/subframe might move just enough to cause this. I will take a long hard look tomorrow and lube that shaft.

Again, thanks a bunch for the comments!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

this intermediate shaft seems to be a very common problem on these cars, about once every couple months we hear about someone having the problem, i would definetely look into it being this

if it was ball joints or tie rods you would notice it when turning

Old 07-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Hmm thats true. I didnt think of that.. And I have no idea how to change one out.. Mine was done within an hour or so..

Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i haven't heard any clunking out of mine yet

Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with the ISS as a probable source of the noise. On my '01 that was a real problem, and I finally had it replaced. I swore it was a suspension problem. It feels like a loose tie rod end or something similar. Have your Chevy dealer service it as most places I've dealt with don't know what you are talking about. About .5 hours labor and a special lube kit.
I just turned 50k on Dale with no problem yet, but I know it's coming soon.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Just a follow up. My problem was the steering shaft. I was able to reach down and put my hand on it while I was "rocking" the car back and forth in the driveway, andI could totally feel the shaft popping. So I removed it and pulled it apart and totally cleaned and re-lubed it.
The noise is gone for now, but I can tell it will be back shortly. I can just barely feel something at the moment when it used to pop/clunk it's loudest. Guess I might have to replace it next time.
Also, I could tell someone has alreadyhad it off before. So it does look like a reacuring problem.

Again, thanks for all the tips and sugestions guys!