Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fixing engine wiring on '01

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Default Fixing engine wiring on '01

Hi everyone,

My '01 Monte Carlo SS was broken into this weekend. I believe they used a slim jim because no windows were broken. They actually didn't take anything which is nice. However, I'm guessing in an attempt to stop the alarm, they opened my hood and started ripping electrical connections. They removed some fuses which I already replaced, but they also yanked a large electrical connector apart which sits near the battery. See the picture to see what I mean (apologies for the poor quality).

I'm not excellent with cars but I am an electrical engineer so I think I can fix this myself. I was wondering if there is a diagram somewhere of the pinout of the connector. It looked to me like the wires are all color coded which is good, but there could be some duplicate colors, I didn't check exactly. Unfortunately it's parked in a parking garage and isn't convenient to have towed or have someone take a look at it if that needs to happen.

Is it a good idea for me to fix this myself? Anyone ever have to replace this connector that could maybe lend some advice? Am I taking a big risk by doing this, could I do damage to my car if I make a mistake?

Thanks for any help.
-Ian
Snapchat-20140330065928.jpg

Snapchat-20140330065945.jpg

Snapchat-20140330070002.jpg

Old 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by honk
Hi everyone,

My '01 Monte Carlo SS was broken into this weekend. I believe they used a slim jim because no windows were broken. They actually didn't take anything which is nice. However, I'm guessing in an attempt to stop the alarm, they opened my hood and started ripping electrical connections. They removed some fuses which I already replaced, but they also yanked a large electrical connector apart which sits near the battery. See the picture to see what I mean (apologies for the poor quality).

I'm not excellent with cars but I am an electrical engineer so I think I can fix this myself. I was wondering if there is a diagram somewhere of the pinout of the connector. It looked to me like the wires are all color coded which is good, but there could be some duplicate colors, I didn't check exactly. Unfortunately it's parked in a parking garage and isn't convenient to have towed or have someone take a look at it if that needs to happen.

Is it a good idea for me to fix this myself? Anyone ever have to replace this connector that could maybe lend some advice? Am I taking a big risk by doing this, could I do damage to my car if I make a mistake?

Thanks for any help.
-Ian
Oh geez man.... Cuttin that would make the car un-drivable. Stupid thugs. I hate people who do that kind of stuff. There is wiring diagrams but there is nothing specific to that harness, you kind of have to chance down every single wire on over 15 wiring diagrams (which im sure your mor than familiar with) id suggest grabbing the other half of the harness from a junkyard yard and using that to piece yours back togethor (soldering crimping or whatever is your fancy). There are a few duplicate colored wires. Just FYI dont grab wiring parts from a 2000 monte carlo, they wont match up.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Hey dbaldwin,

Is there any way you could take a picture of that connector for me? In the meantime I won't have a chance to make it out to a scrap yard until this weekend, so it would really help me to see yours.

Thanks,
Ian

Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by honk
Hey dbaldwin,

Is there any way you could take a picture of that connector for me? In the meantime I won't have a chance to make it out to a scrap yard until this weekend, so it would really help me to see yours.

Thanks,
Ian
Yeah I can try and grab a couple pics tomorow. I have one of my wires routed outside of the harness due to a burnt wiring issue. Which side of the harness is more damaged? Ill try and write up what wire goes where too.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Honk, Why not spend $20 on the Haynes manual for 00 -05 Monte Carlo?
The connectors for my Monte to the PCM was replaced before I bought her. But some of the wires were connected wrong. I went in with the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual and fixed it right up. I found it Very helpful.
You can get the Haynes manual in any Auto parts store.
I recommend Everyone should have the Haynes manual and the Bluetooth OBD II ADAPTER for their cars.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Yeah I can try and grab a couple pics tomorow. I have one of my wires routed outside of the harness due to a burnt wiring issue. Which side of the harness is more damaged? Ill try and write up what wire goes where too.
Hey dbaldwin,

The side of the harness that goes into the engine block is actually completely undamaged, only the side that goes to the left side of the car has been torn. I would really appreciate that!

Hey JC,

Fantastic suggestion. I'm admittedly unknowledgeable about my Monte, so I didn't know about this as an option. You think they would have this at any Autozone or something like that?

Thanks,
Ian

Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Ian,
Yes, and Auto Parts store should have it or you can order it online direct from Haynes. The Wiring Diagram in the manual is very good and does give you the Color Codes and Pin Numbers! I live by mine. Even though most of the time I know what I am doing I keep the book by my side. It is a very good reference.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Hey JC,

I picked up the Haynes manual today from AutoZone. I actually can't find the connector I'm looking for anywhere in the manual. I'm also looking on AutoZone's repair guides page (| Repair Guides | Power Distribution (2001) | Power Distribution (2001) 1 | AutoZone.com) and can't find what I'm looking for. Any direction you could provide toward finding the right wiring diagram? For reference I have the 2001 3.8L V6.

I can't see where any of the wires actually go. Luckily the majority of the wires match up color-for-color, but there are a few that are the same color and so it's impossible for me to tell which one it should go to. Even if I found the wiring diagram I'm not sure that I would be able to tell the difference between two Pink wires, for instance. How can I tell two apart from each other?

Thanks,
Ian

Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 AM
1 Year Member

Sorry I wasnt able to get this pictures today. In the middle of a kitchen remodel. Ill try to get to it tomorow. The red wires should all be mostly interchangeable as they are just power supply wires. Idk about the pink wires yet. Check for a PCM pin out too see if any wire colors match up.