Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): RATTLE! Can't find

Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 AM
1 Year Member
Default RATTLE! Can't find (Found)

Updated: found the rattle. At first I thought the struts or the mounts. Also searched entire trunk and everything in it. It was the sway bar end links. Had them replaced and poof, no more rattle.
Thanks for all the tips on looking for this. No on to the rust fix on the wheel well and the re striping..

I am having an issue, I keep hearing a rattle from the trunk/rear of car. I can't locate the cause though while driving and can't reproduce outside of the car. I have been checking the deck lid but really don't think that's it. It happens at VERY low speeds, like backing out of driveway. The strut bolts are all tight, and they don't feel bad while driving. No leaks from the struts either. If any one has any ideas for me I would love to hear them.
I also have another issue now that I think of it. My stripes are very faded from being in the sun and weather for 7 years, anyone know where to find replacements for a DIY? Or tips on making looks better? They are vinyl stripes. Factory applied.
Any tips are welcome thanks

Last edited by Wldugan1; 04-05-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM

Good Morning

There's lots of stuff in the trunk that can rattle,
Speakers aren't screwed in, just retainer clips, could come loose.
The factory amp is in between the speakers, under rear deck.
Rear of the driver rear wheel, lots of electronics. Not much holding anything in.
And, the spare tire/jack under the trunk mat. It could be loose.
My spare tire well holds water.
If none of that is rattling, start looking underneath, muffler hangars?

Don't know about strips, I didn't get any, cause I suspected the wouldn't last.
Good Luck!!

I'm also curious on a problem I got, are rear fenders rusting? Front of rear wheel?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 AM
1 Year Member

YES, MINE are rusting. Exact same spot. About 6-8 inches. It's not through the paint yet but definitely bubbled and looks like if I touch it I will make it worse. It's only on the pass side right now. What to do? My MC is black and I don't want to repair and paint as it will never match but I do want to stop the rust. Damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda situation.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 AM
1 Year Member

BTW. Tightened spare. Removed everything from trunk. Shove towels and foam in between electronics mounts to fender wells behind the carpet. Llooked at muffler hangers and they look ok, meaning they are all there.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check some of the exhaust system heat shields under the car. They tend to warp and rattle. Is there a license plate frame that's loose?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM
1 Year Member

I'll check both of those things but it sounds more like something knocking into something else or heavy than what the heat shield would sound like. Will keep posted on my findings

Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like worn out strut mounts to me...
Whens the last time you had struts installed? Factory replacement says every 40,000 miles...

Til this past summer... when I changed mine I had a rattle in the back end and turns out it was the strut mounts on the top... So my money says your strut mounts are worn out...

Old 03-29-2014, 11:18 AM
1 Year Member

I've never done them. I purchased it with 35k and it has 53k now. Is this an expensive repair? I'm kinda shocked (no pun intended) that that should be done every 40 k. Thought something like that would last much longer

Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wldugan1
I've never done them. I purchased it with 35k and it has 53k now. Is this an expensive repair? I'm kinda shocked (no pun intended) that that should be done every 40 k. Thought something like that would last much longer

Nope unfortunately they don't last..much like shocks...
Depending on where you go to have them done the price very's...
But they are a bit on the "Pricey" side... Its generally cheaper to buy and install them yourself.
That 40,000 miles is a dealers recommended mileage.

You might get away with just doing strut mounts... depending on the actual condition of your struts....
But expect to shell out some cash...
If you don't repair the strut mounts...they will eventually knock out the body mounts from them hammering the body mount to death... . Then your only asking for real trouble..and near impossible to replace..unless you know a fabricator that's willing to cut them out and custom build/weld in new ones.. Just a little FYI.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 03-29-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Just took me 07 SS Monte in to the dealer today to get pictures taken of the passenger rear wheel well for rust and bubbling under the paint. Wish me luck.. Still under warranty until 112000 kms. See if good ole Generous of Motors stands behind their 100000 or 6 year corrosion warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): RATTLE! Can't find