Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Fixing a button on the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Default Fixing a button on the steering wheel

Hey y'all, I have a 2000 Monte Ls.... On my steering wheel, the volume button for the radio has been pushed inside of the steering wheel. I know how to take the cover off of the steering wheel, but I'm freaked out about the airbag launching. What steps do I need to take to make sure the airbag doesn't launch when I take the cover off? Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-20-2010, 03:29 PM

i think you can just take the fuse out but, and this is a big but, check around before you do!!!!!! good luck though.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The little plastic covers just pry off on the sides. Unless you like punch it and shoot at it, it shouldnt go off lol.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:57 PM

there is a relay for the srs system to take away power from the air bags. also make sure you disconect the battery to so when you take off the air bag and cover it still wont get power to launch the bag. i have taken off mine in my 7th gen to do a allienment so i can get to the nut to straighten the wheel when the wheels were strieght.do those two things the relay and battery disconect will be good so there wont be a chance that you will deploy both bags. sad to say if one goes they both go i have seen both go when the driver side air bag was conected befor at my old body shop they had to replace the winshield and both air bags and the car was about to be picked up two hours after they did final tutches.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper
Hey y'all, I have a 2000 Monte Ls.... On my steering wheel, the volume button for the radio has been pushed inside of the steering wheel. I know how to take the cover off of the steering wheel, but I'm freaked out about the airbag launching. What steps do I need to take to make sure the airbag doesn't launch when I take the cover off? Any suggestions? Thanks
lmao..i was thinking of the same thing too when i first took mine out. here's i how i done it.

tool need: small flat head screw driver

disconnect the battery

open the fuse cover on the diver side, there you will see a "yellow" color plastic piece (SRS) with an orange like rubber band attach to it. take off the orange rubber band and disconnect the "yellow" piece (SRS)

now go to the passenger side and open the fuse cover and repeat the same thing like step 2. you don't need to this step, but for insurance i would disconnect it anyway.

now here's the fun part. lie on your back and locate the 3 holes behind the steering wheel. you will see each hole have screws in them. you will also see right in the hole by the screws there are 3 empty hole with no screws. DO NOT TAKE OUT THE SCREWS.

sit back up and take out a flat head screw driver. the screw should be not too long about 5-6 inches long is good enuff and small enuff to go in the hole. too long it would hit the gauge cluster and not fit in the hole.

when you locate where the hole behind the steering where is at insert the screw driver in the empty hole. make sure the screw driver go in the empty hole not hitting the screw head next to it. if you do hit the screw just move down little bit until you hit the hole without the screw. once you feel it's in twist the screw driver left or right. if you do it right you will see the air bag cover pop out. now go to the next hole and repeat the same thing. when you get to the third hole here's where you need to careful. put your other hand in front of the airbag and get ready to catch it when you pop the last hole.

after you pop the last hole and catch the airbag with the other hand you will see a "yellow" wire connecting from the airbag to the steering wheel. push in and twist the yellow wire end in the steering wheel. that should release the airbag connector. put the airbag aside and replace or fix the volume button.

to put the airbag back in, push in the yellow wire connector on the airbag and twist it as you push in. align the 3 bolt on the airbag to the 3 holes in the steering wheel and push in. you should hear a snap when it go in. connect the (SRS) airbag in the driver and passenger sides back in. connect the battery. you're done.

hope this help. i try to explain the best as can.

Last edited by nemesis; 03-21-2010 at 10:11 PM.