Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine amps sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Default Engine amps sputtering

I have a 05 monte carlo 3.8 with 32k miles just out of warranty. Havent had much problems with it besides a wheel bearing assembly at 8k miles.

Well It rained for 2.5 days and all of a sudden my traction service, abs, and trac off lights came on and it is intermittently coming on/off. No big deal I figure its another wheel bearing assembly. So Im not sure which side it is yet because the bearing isnt making any noise yet so Im gonna drive on it for a few weeks till I can figure out what side it is.

Today My CEL came on. P0455
A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

So I take the cap back off and on and reset the light. Then Im driving it tonight and as its going down the road the motor seems like it is sputtering and Im lookin at the dash and while it sputters for 2-3 seconds the lights flicker and the amps drop to right around the middle of the gauge. Im guessing thats around 12-13 amps. The car keeps doing this on/off.

My question is are all of these problems that have just happened within the last 2 days connected? Seems like an electrical gremlin and Im wondering if the bad wheel bearing assembly is causing this. I tried searching and didnt find much. Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM

hmm id have ur battery checked...it can do all sorts of crazy things when it goes bad

Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM

it is probably a loose ground or a bad alternator. you can have your alternator tested for free at many parts houses. really sounds like a loose ground to me. retrace your steps if you have done any work. Also check your fuses.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM

I would start with the grounds. The one at the battery first. Then keep searching them out. Also agree with the battery post, it could beginning to short out. I can't see a wheel bearing causing it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member

Goin back to the dealer. Well see about this extended warranty. I know im gonna get stiffed. Its just wierd that all of this happened within a few days. I think the wheel bearing assembly is bad. Depneding on if the abs light, svc trac, and traction lights are on or off when you stop the abs will kick on and like your on ice.

Then when your driving the headlights and dash will flicker on/off. Not completely off but it looses alot of the power and the amps go to around 12-13. It lasts for about 3 seconds and you can feel the motor stumbling on the accellerator pedal. I guess its possible for this to only be one problem but to me it seems like it could be a few problems just randomly happening at once.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

let us know what you find out

Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM

I don't doubt you have 2 issues. One being the bearing, or maybe just a dirt build up on the exciter ring causing the abs light to come on, and the alt.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

took it back to the closest dealer that we have all of the service done to it and they said that they cant honor extended warrantys. This is a GM extended warranty with the car being a 05 with 32k miles.They were complete *********. My parents had numerous troubles with their car there a few years back.

Took it back to the dealer where we bought it and dropped it off at night and the following morning got a call at 9am that it was done- Rear Right wheel bearing/hub assembly. The CEL was a evaporator canistor. P0455 code. Car runs fine. I dont know which one of these causes the amps to flicker and the lights to go dim but i thought the car had major problems like needing a whole new ecu. The