Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Hard Shifting & Stumbling/Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Default Hard Shifting & Stumbling/Sputtering

I have a 2000 SS w/ 128K miles. A little over a year ago, I started have some issues with hard shifting, but it would only happen occasionally. I could not duplicate when in for service, nor does it throw any codes. More recently, the shifting issue is becoming more frequent & it is accompanied by sputtering on acceleration. Sometimes it will occur within 5 miles, sometimes within 50 miles of driving...pretty random. Any suggestions?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Sorry to read about your problem...Please use our forum search engine for more information...Good Luck

You have two solenoids in the transmission that control the shift points. Both are inside the transmission. One is on the side you can get to by splitting the case and the other is up inside the transmission meaning it will have to be taken out for replacement.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clean your MAF sensor

Do a tune up (plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter)

If that doesn't help, it's likely bad transmission solenoids, but change your fluid and filter first...

Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

My 2003 SS is going through the same thing. It started with intermittent hard shifting (which goes away if I stop the engine and let it sit for a minute) and just two days ago I started to get odd sputters during low speed acceleration almost like it went to downshift and then immediately changed it's mind so I get a quick surge and then normal. Now just today, I'm sitting at a stop light and feel the rpms suddenly drop to around 400-500 then quickly snap back up to around 1200 again making the car move forward a bit. If I was a bit closer to the guy in front of me I might have hit him. It did it three times. Any ideas on whether these might all be related or separate issues such as solenoids and MAF sensors?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

It honestly could also be a clogged (or clogging) cat.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM

How can you tell if a cat is clogged? I'd hate to replace one then find out it was something completely different.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98Z34
How can you tell if a cat is clogged? I'd hate to replace one then find out it was something completely different.
Shops can do backpressure tests. If you have a similar car you can start them both and put your hand over the exhaust tip (obviously before it gets really hot) and see if one is stronger.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks, man. It got so bad after leaving work I wasn't sure I was going to get home! Can't believe how fast this is developing. Gonna have to burn a day off to have it looked at. I pulled the MAF but it didn't look funked up but then again who knows. Hopefully they can find a code, nothing came up on the console (except it's reminding me my washer fluid is low).

Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM

I need to do a back pressure test because my exhaust flow is not steady. I removed the mufflers and resonator and put straight pipe but on some occasions my car does shift hard. I also noticed that my car isnt as loud as it was when I first did a muffler delete. Im looking into buying the magnoflow cat I just dont want to pay the shipping from zzp lol

Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It honestly could also be a clogged (or clogging) cat.
A couple more things:

1) I pulled the MAF again and noticed a second resistor behind the first which I didn't notice before. I cleaned them both and there was definitely soot on the rear one. Anyway, I put it back in and the engine idled great until it got to temp, then the same things started again - revs dropped (almost like AC kicked in) and caught itself a few times then it finally started stalling.

2) I've tapped on the cat with a rubber mallet and heard nothing rattling but not sure that guarantees anything. Do cat problems generally start once the engine reaches normal temps?

3) Any other sensors I should be looking at? EGR? MAP? PCV? NRA? CIA? FBI? ASPCA? Ths is all so sudden that I'm thinking something broke.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance!

Last edited by 98Z34; 07-11-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: it's ASPCA, not NSPCA - sorry!

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting & Stumbling/Sputtering