Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Do's and Dont's of winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Do's and Dont's of winter storage

Well if your in Michigan you know winter is basically here just no snow yet,i put away my 83 monte last week and just want to hear What are some do's and don'ts for storage over winter,i'm sure everyone does something a little different

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jakefluker
Well if your in Michigan you know winter is basically here just no snow yet,i put away my 83 monte last week and just want to hear What are some do's and don'ts for storage over winter,i'm sure everyone does something a little different
Being from Michigan myself...
Is your car stored inside or outside?

First thing I do is add some STABIL...and fill the tank..The drive it a few miles just to get it throughout the fuel system...Whether its inside or outdoor storage...Because moisture is your worst enemy in michigan..beside salt snow etc...
I like to put down some kind of clear plastic on the ground/floor...so the moisture doesnt travel up thru the car...I also remove the wheels and tires and put them in a warm dry place for the winter...I would also put it on jack stand (under the frame) So as to not have any pressure (weight) on the suspension. I would make sure that my anti-freeze is up to date as well as the correct mix.(20 below)...I would also invest in a cover...of good quality so as to not have any rodents etc trackn up my paint.
Or if its outdoors, (It wont cause any rub marks defects in your paint while blowing around in the wind!) I might even be forgetting somethig at the moment...But heres the basics...

and lastly.. Depending on where you storeing it. (Inside or outside) Indoors..I would use a battery tender to keep it full charged..But, I would disconnect the terminals from the car....Or completely remove the battery and store it in a warm dry ventilated area. If your storeing it outdoors..Be sure its fully charged when you do...As you may or maynot know a fully charged battery will not freeze! Into an ice block...

Also too:
Besure to keep comprehensive Insurance coverage on it... Incase an act of Nature/god causes any damages...while its in storage! Then your covered...I for instance have broad collision on mine...(no deductable) No matter what happens to it!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member

yes its indoors,no way in hell would let winter beat her up lol,in cool dry place and covered up.Sta bil in tank,i never disconnect battery. go and start her up every 2 wks and let run for 30mins.havent had any issues past few years doing this.and yes insurance a MUST!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've been outdoor winterizing for a number of years. What I do:
- Have alocation, if it's not asphalt or cement, use patio blocks under the wheels (so if it's parked on a lawn or gravel location, it does get bedded into the ground making it's first move a pain). Also, try to find a location safe and clear of winter debris, out of harms way for plowing/shoveling the driveway.
- Have a cover MADE for the winter weather. I recommend Covercraft (formally Wolf AUtomotive) Noah fabric. It's breathable and prevents moisture from the top, soaking down and sitting on the paint.
- Vacuum out the car.
- Insert air freshners and/or dryer sheets. I use at least 2 air freshners in the car. The scenets are normally NOT favored by any critters around AND despite how strong it can be during storage, by the time you get the car out for summer, the scent will have tamed down a bit (one year the freshner scent was so strong, it made it's way into the trunk).
- Give the car a FINALY wash. No sense putting good car cover on a dirty car!
- Check tire pressure. If you have spare wheels (junk rims with junk rubber), throw those on for outside storage. I've never rested the cars on jacks or jack stands. People fear flat spots on tires, that is VERY uncommon with a steel belted radial tire. It was more a concern prior to steel belts. The reason I recommend junk tires if you have them, if you have a "safe" place to put you good rims/tires, at least they are saved from resting in the snow/ice and frequent weather changes. Starting last year, I've had the luxary of putting "crap" wheels on the Monte. Also, I find the wheels left on the cars during winter loose about 5 lbs of pressure (consistant on all wheels). This is NORMAL. Due to factors of a constant weight on the car, it NOT being driven (so the wheels don't heat up as normal) and a host of other variables, they will loose pressure, but come spring, pump them up, then you are all set (no leaks, no issues).
- Fill up your gas tank.
- Add fuel stablizer.
- Park the car in it's resting spot.
- If you are extra concerned about "critters", find something easy to remove but to plug the exhaust holes and cover your air intake.
- Disconnect the battery. Some people use a trickle charger, I have never had an issue with disconnecting a fully charged battery and leaving it sit ALL winter. Come spring, reconnect and the car starts right up, first shot.
- Remove antenna (if you have one). On cars with a MALE piece for the antenna that sticks up from the fender or the quarter, due to wind conditions, this can and WILL damage your cover. I find the best fix, get a cap from a spray can, tape it to a polish rag, have the polish rag secured with the cap over the anntenna connection (secure the polish rag by have the hood or trunk close on it). I've done this for years on the Camaro and my wife's '01 Mustang, never an issue.
- Place the cover on. I recommend the lock and cable that most cover vendors offer.

NOW, some important notes getting the car out for spring (based on my rituals):
- Regardless of miles on the oil/filter, change them! Do not start the car (unless you have to) until these have been changed (as all the gunk has had time to settle, running the car begins circulating the gunk).
- Check tire pressure and top off as needed.
- Check fluids.
- Once you burn off the tank of gas in it all winter (which always gets crap for mileage), next tank, throw in a bottle of injector cleaner.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member

very good info!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've been outdoor winterizing for a number of years. What I do:
- Have alocation, if it's not asphalt or cement, use patio blocks under the wheels (so if it's parked on a lawn or gravel location, it does get bedded into the ground making it's first move a pain). Also, try to find a location safe and clear of winter debris, out of harms way for plowing/shoveling the driveway.
- Have a cover MADE for the winter weather. I recommend Covercraft (formally Wolf AUtomotive) Noah fabric. It's breathable and prevents moisture from the top, soaking down and sitting on the paint.
- Vacuum out the car.
- Insert air freshners and/or dryer sheets. I use at least 2 air freshners in the car. The scenets are normally NOT favored by any critters around AND despite how strong it can be during storage, by the time you get the car out for summer, the scent will have tamed down a bit (one year the freshner scent was so strong, it made it's way into the trunk).
- Give the car a FINALY wash. No sense putting good car cover on a dirty car!
- Check tire pressure. If you have spare wheels (junk rims with junk rubber), throw those on for outside storage. I've never rested the cars on jacks or jack stands. People fear flat spots on tires, that is VERY uncommon with a steel belted radial tire. It was more a concern prior to steel belts. The reason I recommend junk tires if you have them, if you have a "safe" place to put you good rims/tires, at least they are saved from resting in the snow/ice and frequent weather changes. Starting last year, I've had the luxary of putting "crap" wheels on the Monte. Also, I find the wheels left on the cars during winter loose about 5 lbs of pressure (consistant on all wheels). This is NORMAL. Due to factors of a constant weight on the car, it NOT being driven (so the wheels don't heat up as normal) and a host of other variables, they will loose pressure, but come spring, pump them up, then you are all set (no leaks, no issues).
- Fill up your gas tank.
- Add fuel stablizer.
- Park the car in it's resting spot.
- If you are extra concerned about "critters", find something easy to remove but to plug the exhaust holes and cover your air intake.
- Disconnect the battery. Some people use a trickle charger, I have never had an issue with disconnecting a fully charged battery and leaving it sit ALL winter. Come spring, reconnect and the car starts right up, first shot.
- Remove antenna (if you have one). On cars with a MALE piece for the antenna that sticks up from the fender or the quarter, due to wind conditions, this can and WILL damage your cover. I find the best fix, get a cap from a spray can, tape it to a polish rag, have the polish rag secured with the cap over the anntenna connection (secure the polish rag by have the hood or trunk close on it). I've done this for years on the Camaro and my wife's '01 Mustang, never an issue.
- Place the cover on. I recommend the lock and cable that most cover vendors offer.

NOW, some important notes getting the car out for spring (based on my rituals):
- Regardless of miles on the oil/filter, change them! Do not start the car (unless you have to) until these have been changed (as all the gunk has had time to settle, running the car begins circulating the gunk).
- Check tire pressure and top off as needed.
- Check fluids.
- Once you burn off the tank of gas in it all winter (which always gets crap for mileage), next tank, throw in a bottle of injector cleaner.
great write up although i store mine in a shed I agree with everything. I'm also using Jack stands this year as last year i had junk tires and rims and the tires went flat and my car was sitting on the rims. I'm not too worried this year since my tires have about 500 miles on them only but I'd rather be safe lol

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
great write up although i store mine in a shed I agree with everything. I'm also using Jack stands this year as last year i had junk tires and rims and the tires went flat and my car was sitting on the rims. I'm not too worried this year since my tires have about 500 miles on them only but I'd rather be safe lol
Thats how I prefer it..
On Jack stsnds verses old tires and rims....(you dont need that excess weight on the suspension).. IMO
Especially during storage.