General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Storage ?s and just being random lol

Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Storage ?s and just being random lol

So when my Fiance (or however ya spell it) gets back I'm heading to the shed I have the Monte in. Had a few ?s about some things I got a lot of good answers to the ?s I asked about storage from the last time I posted so thought ya'll could help me out again. I got 2 thick rugs under the front tires which are the ones always losing air after letting it sit so long in the cold (for some reason the rear tires lose like no PSI at all while sitting), and I'm hoping to remove the battery today If I can figure it all out, my ?s are I wanna put something over the top to keep most the dust from settling on i guess anyway what should I use would i be able to use a sheet or blanket or do I have to use a tarp? and I have the bottle of fuel stabilizer and like a full tank of 92 octane in the car, is it too early to put the stabilizer in if I don't plan on taking the car out until about april or may? Thanks in advance, ohh and using a tip from Trewyn (i think thats right go ahead and correct me if i got it wrong lol) and throwing in an air freshner before shes locked away for her winter slumber.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I winterize my Monte and the wife's Mustang (and I used to winterize my '84 Camaro before I tore it apart), here's what I do:
- Clean the inside and outside good.
- Put fuel stabalizer in the tank (odds are I could skip doing this, but I'd rather be safe then sorry).
- Get the vehicle parked in it's winter spot (our cars are parked outside).
- The Mustang is parked under a car port with gravel on the ground (at one time the Camaro used to park on the side of my mom's garage). If not parking on asphalt or concrete, I made sure to park the wheels on patio blocks (so the car does not sink into the ground).
- Disconnect battery (leave in the car).
- Remove antenna mast (if the car has a mast).
- To prevent the stud from the mast damaging the car cover, I have cap to a can (like spray paint) taped to an old polish rag. Place the cap over the stud to the antenna mast, use the hood to hold the polish rag in place (this has always worked great, as the wind will cause the cover to rub that stud and wear a hole through it).
- Place fresh air fresheners in the car (at least two). I know others that use a bunch of dryer sheets. Same effect. Critters HATE the smell, but helps keep the car smelling good when you get it out.
- Cover it with an outdoor grade, breathable car cover from Wolfe Automotive. Water and bird poo proof. These covers are AWESOME!

When I get the car out for the spring....
- Fresh oil and filter change before I take it for any drives (no matter the mileage of the oil). It sat in there all winter, crap probably settled down into the base of the oil pan, great time to get it out and any condensation that formed in there. Plus, at least fresh oil is being poured on top of one head....
- Inspect air filter.
- Check fluid levels.
- Check tire pressure. I usually loose about 5 lbs or less per tire. This is NORMAL on all cars I've winterized, each time I've winterized. I think it's because the wheels never warm up with normal driving use for a large period of time.
In this case, since I bought some new 18's for the Monte, I put the stock 16's back on the Monte for the winter (the 18's are in the garage, figure the old crappy wheels can take the winter abuse).

Pretty much that's it. Some people cover the tail pipes (not a bad idea, keeps critters out of them).
Some people start their cars periodically during the winter. For indoor storage, sure, not a bad idea. My opinion, the car is fine parked all winter with no starting. It's never given me any sign of problems to NOT start the car from about October-April/May....

I hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It does I have not put the stabilizer in yet and let me tell you getting the battery out was a PITA, I was wondering about something now because you said you leave you're battery in the car unhooked and outside in winter, dosent it freeze? thats what some of the other forum members said is it will freeze up and then expand when thawing so to speak and cause problems.