Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Winter tires VS Performance Winter Tires HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
1 Year Member
Default Winter tires VS Performance Winter Tires HELP

Winter Tires VS Performance Winter Tires 2002 Monte Carlo SS
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi folks.

Looking for some expericened drivers out there to give me their advice on winter tires vs performance winter tires. So far I'm at a toss up on what I should be buying. I know I know, I shouldn't be driving this car in the winter but it's my daily driver. .

Ok so far I've researched Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, Hankook Winter i*cept evo, Nokian WR G2, VS Michelin X Ice 3. There is many versions of the Michelin Pilot alpin P tires and I'm not sure which is the best for my driving in the next few months.

My sistuation:

Driving accross Canada next week, heading to Calgary then north from there to Fort McMurray Alberta. I expect to run into snow, ice, water, dry cold pavement and any mix of the pervious mentioned. I was looking at these tires as Consumer Reports says they are good all-around tires without being strickly winter tires. I well be driving back to eastern Canada in June or July so I don't want the tires I decide on to be ruined on the return, more then likely, warm weather and road conditions. So I'm stumped. HELP!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully someone out there has a vast knowledge on these brands.

GoodZ

Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you will be driving in both inclimate and dry weather a set of all season tires and a set a cable chains would probably be your best bet.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the help.

Made my decision and might regret it but I have thirty days to return the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 I just ordered. I'll know if I like them after my road trip to Calgary this weekend. I know Michelin's aren't known for the long tread life but they are a pretty good tire other then that.

On another note. Chains. Beening from Canada we don't use them we use winter tires, I've been in USA as a child and remeber what they were like when we went skiing in CA. ROUGH.. omg I don't know how you guys do that. Thanks for your sudjestion though.

I'll report back in on these tires when I get a chance.