Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cruise Control not working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
The "STR COL" or steering control fuse is part of the backlighting circuit for the steering wheel controls. Pull the 2A fuse out and inspect it. If the blade inside the plastic is broken than it is a blown fuse. To my recollection, after I installed LED's in all the switches on my steering wheel. That fuse was blown causing no backlighting. This was NOT related to the light that commands the switch to be on or off in the cruise control circuit. If that green light does not come on chances are there is an issue with the module or the wiring in between, as it is part of that circuit. First things first, get your hands on a wiring diagram for your cruise control circuit. Second, your gonna need a DVOM to check for continuity between the wires going from the switch to the module. It would be beneficial as I stated earlier to have a technician look @ it with a scan tool to cycle the switch on/off to see if the module is getting a signal from it. There are some steps you need to take to get this done properly and as cheaply as possible. Another thing to check for is the connector going to the module. Make sure no pins are bent inside and is plugged in all the way. Good luck, you got this man.
Thanks again for the reply... I really appreciate it. The STR COL fuse is fine but there is no power at the fuse (i tested that circuit with a light after the fuse had been pulled out already). I had power at the module and all the connections looked just fine. Not sure where I can find a wiring diagram for the cruise control (i have been searching the web for one, but no luck yet). I talked to a couple of shops that have scanners and they wanted to charge me anywhere from $80-$100 just to test. I have been narrowing it down but just not there yet. Anymore info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks to another member on the forum, I now have the wiring diagram. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Question

I tested all wiring and connections from the module to the steering wheel and the point where i lose power is at the area of the clock spring. I have power in the steering column but no power at the buttons on the steering wheel. Has anyone changed out the clock spring and put a new one in? If so, how much of a job is it? I already have the airbag pulled out.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM

I looked in the factory service manual and it basically looked like you pull the airbag, mark the wheel and main shaft with a marker or something so you know which orientation to reassemble it to, pull the wheel and then you can access the clock spring. Most of the auto parts stores can rent the steering wheel puller.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

I finally got the cruise control working! It was a bad clock spring that had to be replaced. It was not much fun tracing down the problem, but I'm glad that it is fixed now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-07-31_15.04.36-1.jpg (91.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
2014-08-01_17.58.30-1.jpg (64.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Good deal. Glad you got it working. How difficult did it end up being to replace the clock spring? I'm wondering if it was as straight forward as the manual made it. That FSM was some of the best money I've spent for these 6th gens

It really helps to be able to test vs just throw parts at a problem

Last edited by Aaron0313; 08-03-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Aaron0313
Good deal. Glad you got it working. How difficult did it end up being to replace the clock spring? I'm wondering if it was as straight forward as the manual made it. That FSM was some of the best money I've spent for these 6th gens

It really helps to be able to test vs just throw parts at a problem
The wheel had to be pulled and there was a C-ring holding the clock spring in that needed to be removed, then the top steering column cover had to be removed to get the clock spring off and on (there were two small torx screws holding that piece on). After that, it was pretty straight forward.