Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cruise Control not working...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Default Cruise Control not working...

Hello, I have an '05 Supercharged SS with less than 40,000 miles and the cruise control just stopped working. It worked fine last week. The fuse was good but the green light on the button that comes on when engaged, does not light up now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by sethrotull99; 05-27-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone???

Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM

ignition switch could be the culprit.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
ignition switch could be the culprit.

Thanks for replying Is there anyway to diagnose/troubleshoot the problem, so that I don't waste a bunch of money and time? I'm pretty good with auto electrical stuff but with all the computer stuff on these cars, it has me a bit confused.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

Another piece of info I just thought of... I put a new stereo in a couple months ago and did not retain the steering wheel controls for the audio. Still, the cruise control worked just fine. Now though, if the cruise control button does not work, maybe all the steering wheel controls do not work? Hope that helps...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 PM

did the cruise stop working immediately after the new radio was put in? because if so i would have to say that something wasnt hooked back up, or a wire got disconnected that would control the cruise, or maybe something shorted the cruise out...im not sure if there's a way to trouble shoot it. i looked in my book and there wasn't anything in there regarding troubleshooting cruise control issues.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
did the cruise stop working immediately after the new radio was put in? because if so i would have to say that something wasnt hooked back up, or a wire got disconnected that would control the cruise, or maybe something shorted the cruise out...im not sure if there's a way to trouble shoot it. i looked in my book and there wasn't anything in there regarding troubleshooting cruise control issues.
No the cruise worked fine until just a week ago or so. Thanks for helping out.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 AM

no problem.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the solution! Well at least it was for me lol Look under the driver side dash and follow the brake pedal up until you see those 2 switches that are screwed in and up against the pedal on the other side. The bottom one with the 2 connectors is what allows you to shift out of park whenever the pedal is pressed, it's also what makes your brake lights come on. The top one is for the cruise control and it's what disengages it when the pedal is pressed. It took me forever to figure this out! I checked all the wiring, fuses and even went as far as replacing the cruise control module in the engine bay. Then I realized that the brake pedal comes into play with cruise control and how it disengages it so I checked under the dash and found the 2 switches! Haha went to the junk yard and removed both of them from a donor monte, replaced the top one first, went for a drive and just like that my CC was working once again!
Maybe yours just needs the switch replaced as well

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (89.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
I have the solution! Well at least it was for me lol Look under the driver side dash and follow the brake pedal up until you see those 2 switches that are screwed in and up against the pedal on the other side. The bottom one with the 2 connectors is what allows you to shift out of park whenever the pedal is pressed, it's also what makes your brake lights come on. The top one is for the cruise control and it's what disengages it when the pedal is pressed. It took me forever to figure this out! I checked all the wiring, fuses and even went as far as replacing the cruise control module in the engine bay. Then I realized that the brake pedal comes into play with cruise control and how it disengages it so I checked under the dash and found the 2 switches! Haha went to the junk yard and removed both of them from a donor monte, replaced the top one first, went for a drive and just like that my CC was working once again!
Maybe yours just needs the switch replaced as well

ill have to remember this in case i ever have the issue too!!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Cruise Control not working...