Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Changed BCM..still having problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
1 Year Member
Default Changed BCM..still having problems...

Just to give you a rundown...bought the car (02 Monte Carlo SS) 1 month ago and it had the following idiot lights on, a red air bag light on, yellow "track off" and yellow "abs" lights also along with the check engine light. Other problems with the car was that I had no chimes, interior lamps worked only with the dimmer switch not when the doors opened, my digital display shift indicator works off and on and I couldn't program a set of key fobs. So after reading countless of posts on this site as well as other GM forums, I came to the conclusion that was the BCM was bad. Also the Tech II gave me the codes B1001. Soooo... I purchased a new BCM and installed it, then had the dealership "flash it" to my car. Well right away I got interior lights which was great! I was thinking I was moving in the right direction!..

Problem is my airbag light is still on, still getting DTC B1001 and I still don't have chimes and I couldn't get my keyfobs to work...any idea of what I should try next??

p.s I know I have a bad wheel sensor so as soon as I replace it I should be able to get rid of the "track off" and "abs" lights.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did a look up on your code B1001 in the shop book. It's an issue with the BCM and the airbag system (and explains your air bag light). Here's some copy and paste from the shop book:

Circuit Description

When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) compares the restraints ID that is stored in the SDM to the restraints ID that is stored in the body control module (BCM). The restraints ID that is being compared contains the last four digits of the SDM part number. Then, the SDM compares the VIN that is stored in the SDM to the VIN that is stored in the BCM. For more detailed information concerning the Class 2 data lines, refer to Data Link Communications Description and Operation in Data Link Communications.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The restraints ID that is stored in the SDM does not match the restraints ID that is stored in the BCM or the VIN information that is stored in the SDM does not match the VIN information that is stored in the BCM.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via Class 2 serial data.
• The SDM disables all deployment loops.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The restraints ID that is stored in the SDM matches the restraints ID that is stored in the BCM and the VIN information that is stored in the SDM matches the VIN information that is stored in the BCM.

Diagnostic Aids

DTC B1001 is an indication that the restraints IDs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match or that the VINs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match. If either the BCM and/or powertrain control module (PCM) were replaced, the replacement modules need to be reprogrammed for proper operation.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
  1. Tests to see if the correct VIN is programmed in the PCM.
  2. Tests to see if the BCM has been replaced.
  3. Tests to see if the correct VIN is programmed in the BCM.

You may require the dealer to assist you on troubleshooting this (you will need a scan tool that can read the VINs stored in the PCM and BCM). Hope that helps!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks Maniac..I'll give that a shot! What about the other problems with the door and keys chimes and the FOB not being able to get programmed? You think it might be tied up to that?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 PM

10 Year Member

If you have an aftermarket radio, then that is probably the issue with the chimes (chimes run through the radio, if an aftermarket one is put in, either live with no chimes OR some kits I believe offer an answer to that).

As for the keyless entry system, if you are not getting ANY response from the fobs (using them or programming them), first make sure the batteries in the fobs are good. If so, the next thing I'd check is the remote control door lock receiver (it under a piece of the dash, up towards the front of the dash, I believe you pop off a trim piece between the main dash pad and the windshield and it's there). Make sure that is plugged in.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If you have an aftermarket radio, then that is probably the issue with the chimes (chimes run through the radio, if an aftermarket one is put in, either live with no chimes OR some kits I believe offer an answer to that).

As for the keyless entry system, if you are not getting ANY response from the fobs (using them or programming them), first make sure the batteries in the fobs are good. If so, the next thing I'd check is the remote control door lock receiver (it under a piece of the dash, up towards the front of the dash, I believe you pop off a trim piece between the main dash pad and the windshield and it's there). Make sure that is plugged in.

I'm still running the factory radio (which was locked when I bought the car) I was able to unlock it using the Tech II...one thing I did find was there is some kind of plug underneath the passenger side seat that is cut..I think the SDM is under there somewhere right??

Old 10-10-2014, 07:45 AM
1 Year Member

anyone know where the SDM is located?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 AM

10 Year Member

Not sure what SDM stands for. But I'm guessing if you found a plug under the passenger seat it's for one of two things:
- If you don't have heats seats, it may be for that
- If the passenger seat is not power, it may be for that

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Gib

Sensing and diagnostic module = sdm