Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): raise the rear end

Old 01-02-2015, 04:35 PM
3 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default raise the rear end

2003 ss. w 89000 miles,feels like its time
want to use my Xmas dough on some suspension stuff

1aa auto has four assemblies for under $400 but kind of want to do it right

also am I crazy to want to keep rear end high

so many people want to lower

thoughts recommendations on this?

happy new year!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte is lowered all the way around. I like the low slick aerodynamic look I feel it puts out. However I watched a You Tube video of this nasty fast Pontiac GTP and he had his cars butt hiked way into the air. Helps him on the launch as the car wants to settle down and this helps him maintain a downward force on the front tires, getting really great traction. So that's the plus to lifting the rear. Do it and show us a muscle car looking Monte Carlo, might be sic!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

My Monte has a 2" lift in the rear. Front is stock. When you look at my car on the road, it looks stock. But when you sit it next to a stock monte then you can see how obvious the difference is. If you look at the wheel wells you can see that the gap in the front is smaller than the gap in the rear.
I'm an Old Skool car guy, was raised on 60s and 70s hot rods. I think a little lift in the rear gives a car an aggressive stance! I also think that before a car is lowered, the condition of the roads you travel need to be considered. You don't want to lower your car, then stop for a berger and Rip your front bumper cover because the concrete stop in the parking space grabbed it? IMO!!!
And I raised mine very easily and in expensively. I got 2 sets of Coil Spring Spacers, one set for each side. Check out the Web site below. There are also pics of my Monte in my Gallery with them installed and parked alone and next to another yellow Monte so you can see the difference.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...92&dpr=3#spd=0

When it comes up its the first one on the page!
Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!

Last edited by JC Colon; 01-03-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM

Wouldnt the higher it sits the less aerodynamic it is, making it slower? Unless just the back is lifted higher. Why would he lift the gtp? Imagine lifted trucks and how slow they are compared to stock ones.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo
Wouldnt the higher it sits the less aerodynamic it is, making it slower? Unless just the back is lifted higher. Why would he lift the gtp? Imagine lifted trucks and how slow they are compared to stock ones.
Here is the 10 second Grand Prix, only it's butt not the front is lifted. He does it to keep as much down force on the front tires as possible for enhanced traction. Wish I could break into the 10's... dang

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

If you lift the whole car, like those with 24s, 26s then yes it will increase drag. I lifted only the rear on mine and only 2". That puts more down force on the wing and the windshield. It also moves the center of gravity towards the front, putting more downward pressure on the front tires. That is important, if you are racing or doing time trials. But for daily driving, which is what most of us do with our Monte's, any difference in aero dynamics is negligible.
Personally, I don't race my Monte. So I was going for a Look not more speed. I mean, I've had my Monte for 3 years and the fastest I've gone in it is about 85 to 90 miles per hour.
It really depends on what you do with your car. My goal is to have it Show Ready at all times. 2 things, I don't know that I will Ever put it in a show, and I don't know how many more YEARS it will take me to get there. Your goals for your car may be different!

Last edited by JC Colon; 01-03-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Personally, I don't race my Monte. So I was going for a Look not more speed. I mean, I've had my Monte for 3 years and the fastest I've gone in it is about 85 to 90 miles per hour.

C JC, now how are you ever going to get the big smile that does not fade every time you get in your Monte if you don't race it now and again bud? Not over 90, and here all the time I thought you was a stand up man who did not BS excessively! JK, man you really need to loosen up some and go for it, hell you have a brand new tranny to break in.

It really depends on what you do with your car. My goal is to have it Show Ready at all times. 2 things, I don't know that I will Ever put it in a show, and I don't know how many more YEARS it will take me to get there.

Well you know your just going to have to get another DD and park your Yellow Monte if you ever want to make her car show ready and get her into the events to win the big trophy's. Okay JK, our Monte's almost never win trophy's, you can have the most cherry Monte Carlo there and most people walk right on by as if your invisible. At the GM Nats. we were tucked off in some far corner of the world and the only people who came by were the ones coming in from or going to the parking lot. So I guess just keep driving her and keep it all cherried out for when you may have a local cruise night or your friends happen up on you while your out. Owning a 5th, 6th, 7th gen. Monte now is like owning an Edsel back in the day. No one really cares...

Oh well we love them, guess that's why some of us build our Monte's up, to kind of be in their faces and give them a "what for".

Old 01-03-2015, 08:38 PM

I can see how raising only the back would help our cars, but if you raise the front of your car it makes no sense to me if your trying to do it for performance. Air flows more under the car for less traction and stability and more wind pushes it back. The guy with the raised gtp should lower the front end.

Last edited by Red Monte Carlo; 01-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo
I can see how raising only the back would help our cars, but if you raise the front of your car it makes no sense to me if your trying to do it for performance. Air flows more under the car for less traction and stability and more wind pushes it back. The guy with the raised gtp should lower the front end.
I agree, lower the nose, jack the back. The GP's nose does look pretty low to me, perhaps looks to be only 4" or so off the asphalt.

Has anyone said they have raised their Monte's front end? I was wondering where your getting that from or have you perhaps seen one lifted?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would be kind of nervous racing a car with the nose that low. If you hit the brakes to dump on someone at the big end of the track, you would break out as the nose of the car would break the beam before the tires did...LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): raise the rear end