Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changed the motor mount, STILL making a clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM
1 Year Member
Default Changed the motor mount, STILL making a clunk noise

Last night I took the main motor mount out of my 06 LTZ. It was thoroughly trashed as you can see in the attached picture. Anyways, I wiggled the new one up in there, bolted it up, dropped it down into the frame holes (with some minor persuasion) and got it all snugged down.

So I took it out for a test drive and it STILL pops and clunks! and I know it is not one of the other motor mounts because they all looked fine when I inspected them last night AND it doesnt pop or clunk while in park and revving it....only in drive, while accelerating, decelerating or going around sharp corners

So now Im leaning towards suspension/steering components or bushings, but honestly I've never done any suspension work in my garage and the quick checks I did last night didnt reveal anything to me I didnt already know. By quick checks I mean rocking the tire up and down, side to side, spinning it, etc....The only thing I could think of was on my 05 ls I had, it made the same noise and the dealer said that the steering cradle bolts were loose?? They said they tightened em up and the noise went away....Any suggestions from anyone? I appreciate it!

Attached Thumbnails Changed the motor mount, STILL making a clunk noise-wp_000948.jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Worn strut bearing

ISS (intermediate steering shaft) needs lubrication

Excessive wear in rack-n-pinion

Worn suspension/steering components

Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
1 Year Member

ha, wish the problem would just jump out at me...im probably gonna go with struts as well, but ill have to check it out