Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

blowing ignition fuse every time

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Default blowing ignition fuse every time

my friend was going to leave work at 3 a.m. and had no luck starting his car. it is a 2002 monte carlo ss with the 3800. i looked under the hood and checked all teh normal things. noticed he had no dash movment which is not common with "normal" starting. i began checking fuses and noticed the one labeled for ignition switch was blown so i pulled the spare out of my 92 olds "same motor as his" put it in place of his blown one and had him try starting it. blew the fuse again. my boss hten jumped into action thinking he was a mr. know it all and used a set of wire strippers to "jump" the 2 spots where the fuse touches and as i would have guessed it started smoking and melted a little bit of plastic around the spot (idiot). i gave him a ride home and attacked it the following day. starter was seized. replaced it. put another fuse in and it started then died with another blown fuse. on a whim i replaced his ignition switch thinking maybe it was pulling too much power through the fuse. i checked for any shorts (connected my test light to the negative battery terminal and touched the engine block to make sure it did not light up) that was fine. then the reverse to make sure it did the same with the key on and good fuse in. same results. aafter replacing the ign switch and reassembeling the interior i started it and it ran good for a few mins i shut it off. re started it and it ran then died. each time it dies with a blown fuse. i do not know what my boss could have damaged but any information would be helpfull. short of replacing the dual fuse box under hood im kind of stumped. would the ignition relay prove a worthy fix? must add that there is no check engine light on