Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 3800 to L67 swap in 2002 SS, quick questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
1 Year Member
Default 3800 to L67 swap in 2002 SS, quick questions....

so basically the cold weather took its toll on my SS, we have seen numerous sub 0 temps. Along with the fact that my oil pan seal is leaking and since the last top off, it leaked a little faster than normal and I didn’t have a qt in the trunk to fill up on a cold -15* morning and drove it to the gas station to grab a qt (5 miles). that was about 3 weeks ago. And now, about 4 days ago a loud tap/knock has surfaced from the back side of the motor towards the oil pan. So I am pretty sure a rod or crank bearing is now toast or about to be toast.

So considering that I most likely will have to replace the engine, I have been doing a lot of looking into what options I have. So please correct me if you see anything wrong with what I am about to type….

For the L67 swap, into a 2002 SS, all I have to do is…

Install L67 to current transmission (I know I don’t have an HD trans, but it only has about 80k on it)
Use L67 Tq Converter or buy a new one
Buy wire harness from zzp for the 2 little extensions and pin to PCM
Tune current PCM bin for “boost” tables similar to how you would tune when you add a turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I do have a PowrTuner and my bin file.
By tuning my current PCM for boost, it will not require the wire harness or BCM and PCM from the donor car, correct?

Eventually I will need to update the trans diff to the HD diff, or swap out for an HD trans from a donor.

I am able to locate a couple mid mileage L67’s (100k-150k) for less than $500
I am also finding standard 3800’s for around $400 with similar mileage.

If all I have to do is the things I listed above, I am pretty sure I will be going the L67 swap route.

Anyone have any comments or corrections?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
1 Year Member

Oh, and i do want to mention, all things being equal...

i will change plugs and wires and gaskets on either engine i choose. for the l67, i would also install new bearings to avoid the dreaded s/c rattle.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Having not done this yet, I dont want to steer you wrong but I found this thread that may answer your questions

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...ts-pics-14487/

Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
so basically the cold weather took its toll on my SS, we have seen numerous sub 0 temps. Along with the fact that my oil pan seal is leaking and since the last top off, it leaked a little faster than normal and I didn’t have a qt in the trunk to fill up on a cold -15* morning and drove it to the gas station to grab a qt (5 miles). that was about 3 weeks ago. And now, about 4 days ago a loud tap/knock has surfaced from the back side of the motor towards the oil pan. So I am pretty sure a rod or crank bearing is now toast or about to be toast.

So considering that I most likely will have to replace the engine, I have been doing a lot of looking into what options I have. So please correct me if you see anything wrong with what I am about to type….

For the L67 swap, into a 2002 SS, all I have to do is…

Install L67 to current transmission (I know I don’t have an HD trans, but it only has about 80k on it)
Tune current PCM bin for “boost” tables similar to how you would tune when you add a turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I do have a PowrTuner and my bin file.
By tuning my current PCM for boost, it will not require the wire harness or BCM and PCM from the donor car, correct?

Eventually I will need to update the trans diff to the HD diff, or swap out for an HD trans from a donor.

I am able to locate a couple mid mileage L67’s (100k-150k) for less than $500
I am also finding standard 3800’s for around $400 with similar mileage.

If all I have to do is the things I listed above, I am pretty sure I will be going the L67 swap route.

Anyone have any comments or corrections?
Make sure it isn't just lifter tick before you start tearing it out of there. Sometimes in the cold that could happen, sometimes even a valve spring can break, but if that is the case you are in trouble too.

As for the list

__You can use the same trans. The only difference is the differential/cover.

__ Also, still can use the same Torque converter

__ This you actually need, I got mine from 3800 performance. Not only this. but the injectors are a different style, so you will need to solder on new injector connectors.

__This is where it get's really crappy. My 2000 monte will not accept the 2bar MAP sensor that you are going to need to convert to. I think all of the 2000-2003 Monte carlos have this issue, it gets pretty serious but I have a tune file I could send you that might work on HPTuners.

__Tuning your current PCM won't hurt anything, you mainly are just swapping the injector/MAF info from the new parts.

Also, remember you will need a new air intake, throttle body, all of the little fittings. That will all depend on what the l67 you get comes with.

I REALLY SUGGEST SELLING IT AND BUYING A SUPERCHARGED CAR. It's crazy how fast it adds up and how long it takes.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if you use a l67 flex plate you need an l67 torque converter and if you use a l36 flex plate you need to use a l36 torque converter. l67 flex plate and converter is 258mm and l36 flex plate and converter is 245mm

i have a hd diff upgrade if you wanna buy one lol

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Actually you dont need the plug for the bbv.
also you can make your own map extention for pennies. To the op: make sure the l67 you get has 2000+ injectors, they are different. You can put 2000+ injectors in a 96-99 l67.
Originally Posted by Enzo354
Make sure it isn't just lifter tick before you start tearing it out of there. Sometimes in the cold that could happen, sometimes even a valve spring can break, but if that is the case you are in trouble too.

As for the list

__ This you actually need, I got mine from 3800 performance. Not only this. but the injectors are a different style, so you will need to solder on new injector connectors.

__This is where it get's really crappy. My 2000 monte will not accept the 2bar MAP sensor that you are going to need to convert to. I think all of the 2000-2003 Monte carlos have this issue, it gets pretty serious but I have a tune file I could send you that might work on HPTuners.

__Tuning your current PCM won't hurt anything, you mainly are just swapping the injector/MAF info from the new parts.

Also, remember you will need a new air intake, throttle body, all of the little fittings. That will all depend on what the l67 you get comes with.

I REALLY SUGGEST SELLING IT AND BUYING A SUPERCHARGED CAR. It's crazy how fast it adds up and how long it takes.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
Having not done this yet, I dont want to steer you wrong but I found this thread that may answer your questions

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...ts-pics-14487/

his situation is quite a bit different than mine....

5th gen
non 3800 stock setup

nice read, but not really applicable

Originally Posted by Enzo354

As for the list

Ref: lifter tick – I believe the sound is from the bottom end, and not from the valve cover. The screwdriver to ear method is certainly louder on the oil pan than on the valve cover. Even if it is just a lifter or spring or what ever on the top end, I am certain that at some point it was starved for oil since it was low. For me to feel comfortable, I would prefer to replace all of the lifters, and at $4 each and you have to replace intake gaskets AGAIN (which I just did a few months ago). My current engine has 217k miles on it. I would much rather put in a lower mileage engine personally.

Ref: the other replies – I will be using my current trans, but will be updating the TQ converter to the L67 and will be using the L67 plate. I alredy have 42# injectors with the connectors and have no problem soldering in the connectors.

I would love the bin file you have, as long as I can open in TinyTuner I can then copy the info I need into the PowrTuner bin that I have.

The 2 bar map sensor isn’t that big of a deal to me. You can tune off of max map, maf freq, rpm, mph, etc. you can tune around it, which I am familiar with.

I know I will have to make an intake and the engine will come with the throttle body or I will upgrade to a different TB like and LS4 TB or something else. I help a buddy make an adapter plate to make an LS4 one work on his 3800. I think it was an LS4 one anyone. Its been a few years ago.

I am not buying a new car. This project shouldn’t cost me more than $1000 and a weekend. I am pretty confident that I wouldn’t be able to say the same for selling my car then buying an 04 SS/SC. Just not happening lol.

Originally Posted by turbo monte
if you use a l67 flex plate you need an l67 torque converter and if you use a l36 flex plate you need to use a l36 torque converter. l67 flex plate and converter is 258mm and l36 flex plate and converter is 245mm

i have a hd diff upgrade if you wanna buy one lol

planning on using the L67 plate and a new L67 TQ Converter.

How much for the hd diff? shipped.

Originally Posted by l67ss
Actually you dont need the plug for the bbv.
also you can make your own map extention for pennies. To the op: make sure the l67 you get has 2000+ injectors, they are different. You can put 2000+ injectors in a 96-99 l67.

please explain how/why I don’t need the BBV plug?

After looking into what the zzp harness does, I decided that I will do my own harness extension and stuff. I have 42# injectors that I was planning on putting in. the engines I am looking at are out of a 99 gtp and a 99 SSEI (I think 99). But I can get 2000+ injectors for $20 a set at a junk yard near me.

Thanks for everyones replies. I am almost certain now that I will be doing the L67 swap. For those that I replied to and had additional questions for, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't need the BBV plug because you can run it off vacuum. Remove BBV solenoid, cap the line coming from the FPR and leave the line coming from the BBV open to vent.

If you do end up getting a set of injectors from a yard and want to get rid of the 42# injectors, let me know.

EDIT: Get the motor from a GTP, Regal GS, or 04-05 Monte SS. SSEi and Park Avenue L67 motors have some differences that could cause you a headache (oil pain, other accessories)

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
You don't need the BBV plug because you can run it off vacuum. Remove BBV solenoid, cap the line coming from the FPR and leave the line coming from the BBV open to vent.

If you do end up getting a set of injectors from a yard and want to get rid of the 42# injectors, let me know.

EDIT: Get the motor from a GTP, Regal GS, or 04-05 Monte SS. SSEi and Park Avenue L67 motors have some differences that could cause you a headache (oil pain, other accessories)

thanks for the pro tip

i will be keeping the injectors. i have had them for a very long time waiting a project to use them in. and this will be it, maybe not now, but certainly eventually. i know once i start modding, i wont be stopping anytime soon.