Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3400 knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Default 3400 knowledge?

are you guys familiar with 3.4 engine?

i have a few questions..

1. Coolant leak between block and timing chain cover under the alternator.
its leaking nicely out

2. does coolant go through timing chain cover?

3. power steering pulley, it has the "alen head" (spelling) but it seems to be stuck can't go lefty or righty.. and its plastic POS don't want to break it any tips on removing it?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have an answer about the power steering pulley. But why are you trying to remove it?

If you want to remove the power steering pump, I believe it has 3-4 bolts. You access them through the openings in the pulley (can slide socket on an extension through there, unbolt it and pull the bolts out).

As for the coolant leak, that sounds like a lower intake manifold leak. Another way to check for it, do a loan-a-tool from a local parts store of a radiator pressure tester. Hook it up, bump in about 13 lbs of pressure. If it is the LIM leaking coolant, it will bubble out where the LIM meets the head. You'll loose pressure and hear hissing.

To my knowledge, coolant does NOT pass through the timing chain cover.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM

the timing cover is in the way, i can't see the water leak where its coming from exactly.

I'm trying to remove the pulley so i can remove timing cover, i guess i should remove the pump together with pulley.. DUHH

Yes i rented the tool and i pressure it up and the coolant just sprays out...

how big of a pain in the **** is it to replace that?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have been around a lot of 3100/3400 engines and coolant leaks. YOu should not have ANY need to remove a timing cover and the only reason to pull a power steering pump is if the leak is in the LIM.

You mentioned with a pressure tester coolant just sprays out. I'm taking an assumption you have not seen the source? Like I mentioned, if you follow the line where the LIM meets the heads, you should find a spot where coolant is flowing.

Can you get a pic of what you are seeing, perhaps I can give more insite.

Typical leaks on that side of the engine are:
- Water Pump - Typically you will find a line of coolant on the hood insulation and a puddle of coolant under the car at almost the exact spot of the pump. About a 30 minute change, piece of cake.
- Hoses - Make sure they are in good condition and clamps are tight.
- Metal pipe coming up from the water pump, has a tiny O-Ring on it. Typically that O-ring does not go bad, but if the pipe is ever removed, you MUST replace that O-ring.

As for doing the LIM, I've done a couple in the N-bodies, it's not a tough job, just time consuming. If it is the LIM, make sure you get the new FelPro aluminum gaskets (GM used nylon gaskets and I don't care what coolant you use, DEX or the green stuff, the nylon can't handle hot fluid and goes bad about 80,000-120,000 miles regardless. The aluminum ones should ensure you never need to change the LIM gaskets again.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Here's some Info on changing it I found online:D-tips It is kinda brief and you will need some general auto mechanics skills but it should help.