Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

No Knowledge of DIY tune up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No Knowledge of DIY tune up!

I would love to do my own tune-up on my 01 Monte Carlo SS. The situation is I do not have the proper tools (which I can access if needed). I have bought the original Adelco parts for my car (spark plugs, ignition cables, pcv valve, I am sure its something else but can't think of it right now). Basically, I bought the basic tune-up items for my car. I was wondering, how do you change or install the spark plugs (what tool is needed)? Hoe do I install the PCV valve? Money is short, VERY SHORT right now and I will like to save my own by doing it on my own. Any Suggestions, I will gladly APPRECIATE it.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM

to avoid any confusion,please have an experienced mechanic help you with these repairs.the questions you are asking leads me to believe you dont know your way around an engine compartment.The last thing you need is to break off a spark plug in the head or pull one from a hot engine and ruin the threads.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM

ok the first thing to ask is do you have any tools. a basic tool set is easy and affordible plus get a manuel for the motor it will give some help but not a lot of hints. second is the front three plugs if it is a v6 are easy to get to the back is a little harder to get to. you may have to remove a few items to get to the back spark plugs if in doubt do it slow and take your time. because no good if you rush it will mess up alot of things. you may or may not need to remove the dog bones aka the front mounts of the engin. all i am saying look feel how hard it is to reach the back and you will know what to do tell me what you see and what is blooking the back plugs go slow dont rush. when you are doing the back. tell me more so if you need some help ill look around for the same year and see whats the easy thing to help you with

Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM

oh forgotten to add a advredge tune up on a monte carlo is 250.00 to 350.00 on up. best thing to do what i am saying is to try it and learn dont be discuredge on doing it your self. thats the best thing is by doing it your self is you actually learn alot about your car and what it has under the hood. it is a good learning experence

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On my lunch break I'll try to give you a basic DIY tune-up write-up.

*edit* added procedures requested below

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 07-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey mike(chibiblacksheep), long lunch or did you forget your wallet again?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM

15 Year Member

I got a stupid project to do to prep for our new website, argh! hopefully I get some free time today to do the write-up!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM

15 Year Member

Basic Tune-up you will want to check all the fluids. I'm sure you know how to do that.

Check all of your hoses, make sure you don't see wear or cracking.

Check your brakes, wheels, etc.

Check and clean/replace your air filter.

PCV Valve: Located in the intake manifold under the MAP sensor at the passenger side of the engine (near the alternator) Take off the fuel injector cover, disconnect the connector from the MAP Sensor and unclip the MAP sensor from the PCV valve access cover. Press down on the PCV Valve cover and rotate it counter-clockwise. It's on a spring, so it should pop up. Pull the valve and O-ring assembly from the intake manifold. Take note of how it sits installed. Then reverse these directions to put it back in.

Spark Plugs: An easy test for spark plug wiress is to pop the hood in the dark (a good garage is good for this) and start the car. Then look (carefully!) and see if you can see any signs of arcing or sparking. Take note on where each spark plug wire goes and mark them. The tools for a spark plug replacement would be: spark plug socket (padded to prevent damage), extensions, gap gauge, ratchet, spark plug separator (good to get the boots off the plugs), and a torque wrench. Gap all of your plugs properly (0.060 in) and then replace them one at a time. Let the engine be completely cooled off. Grab the spark plug wire boot (never the wire) and twist it slightly and pull to remove. Using the spark plug socket, turn counterclockwise to remove. Take the new plug and put some anti-seize compound on the threads (but not the lower-threads closest to the spark). Using your hand, tighten the new plug into the hole then finish with a ratchet or the torque wrench. Then inspect the plug wire, and then using only the boot again, twist it a little and stick it on the spark plug so it is tight. Do the rest of the plugs one at a time.

If you need the firing order it's 1-6-5-4-3-2

That should be all you need, let me know if you need any other writeup. And at any time if you don't feel comfortable doing anything, always take it to someone who knows what they are doing.