Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

1st car and no audio knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Default 1st car and no audio knowledge.

So, I recently bought a 2000 Monte and I was looking to update speakers. I have minimal knowledge of audio and wiring and I would like some input on my hopeful setup.

-In the front doors, I wanted to run 2 6.5" sony xplōd speakers.
-In the rear, I was looking at 2 6"X9" sony xplōd speakers.
-I also have a 10" punch subwoofer which I hope to box this weekend.
-I have an aftermarket stereo in the car which was installed before I bought it.
-Also, my friend also tells me I have an amplifier in the trunk, which I see as a silver ridged box.

I didn't know if I needed a larger amp to accomidate the sub. The xplōd speakers are the same physical size as the ones in the car now. I dont know if they have the same wattage. (Not sure if wattage is right) Thanks a ton, and any advice is welcomed. I can take pics if need be. Again, thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM

well i can help help you for the most part. the small silver amp under your rear deck that powers the rear deck 6x9s and the 6.5s in the doors. you will need another sub amp to power that sub. nothing crazy. depends on what series RF punch sub you have. the newer ones can take more power but not much more.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM

I dont remember alot about the audio side of things. i do know the stock amp isnt big enough, the wattage for the speakers plays a big role in selecting the head unit you want etc. id go to crutchfield(.)com and chat online with there reps.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM

First, thanks. Second, I plan on replacing the front 6.5" door speakers first. Before adding on the sub, would I be able to replace the door speakers without an extra amp? And the sub is a little bit older. It's at my dad's house and I won't be able to mess with it for a while anyway.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Classixs
First, thanks. Second, I plan on replacing the front 6.5" door speakers first. Before adding on the sub, would I be able to replace the door speakers without an extra amp? And the sub is a little bit older. It's at my dad's house and I won't be able to mess with it for a while anyway.
personally wouldnt get go with sony.. but they are decent for the price and for what you are doing they will be okay! nope that stock amp powers the door speakers. of course you can get rid of the stock amp and run a larger 4 channel and it would be louder but then your throwing out more $$$.. i think a little kicker 300.1 or something similar would be nice for the sub.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 PM

So what speakers do you recommend? Thinking about it, I might not really want a sub, considering I won't be bumping it all the time. Just nicer speakers in front and back would do. What would I have to do to replace those speakers and replace the amp for something with more juice?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM

rockford makes some great stuff but very expensive! if you want to do all matching. i would do alpine type S coaxile speakers in the front and rear on a alpine F300. i run that currently and it gets very loud. no mid bass though. but i have subs so i dont need it. but i would recomend running a small 10 or so just to give it a nice little bump. 300 watts and 1 10" isnt gonna slam. it will be a nice addition to the system though. it would sound excellent!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Id love to be able to drop a ton on rockfords, but it might havr to wait another day. So how much would it run tadd the 10" I have then the front on alpines? And what about the rear 6X9's? Also, why isnt there mid-bass?

Last edited by Classixs; 01-11-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Yea, I definitly wouldn't go with the Sony Xplodes. I would go with some Kenwoods or JBLs. I believe you could find a nice set of Kenwoods for 30-40 dollars.
Of course if your going to be upgrading your sound system you might as well go all out. It can be very expensive but if you shop around a little you could find some great deals! Theres a website... Sonic Electronix or something - they have pretty good deals. I believe they also have kits that come with the subs and an amp!

I am pretty big on audio. I usually have a lot of stuff but recently was robbed of a lot. I am pretty satisfied with my stock setup in the Monte for now. Probably because all of my pride and joy was just stolen from me. Lol.

My advice. Stay away from WalMart! (Unless your just buying wire or the dash kit). Around here we have a lot of Car Audio stores and they are super nice. I use to just walk in and ask for advice and they had NO problems helping me out!

Goodluck with your audioquest!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Classixs
Id love to be able to drop a ton on rockfords, but it might havr to wait another day. So how much would it run tadd the 10" I have then the front on alpines? And what about the rear 6X9's? Also, why isnt there mid-bass?
and also just because rockford costs a small fortune doesnt mean its the best! alot of great companies out there. just depends on what you want to spend. id say it would cost 150$ or so to run that 10". id run an alpine type S 6x9 in the rear deck also. you could go to TYPE Rs which sound very very good but they are more money. they are just flat i dont know why. doesnt bother me. on some speakers bass can sound distorted at high volumes comming through a coaxial

Quick Reply: 1st car and no audio knowledge.