Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 SS battery draining out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Default 2001 SS battery draining out

Hello all,Im new here,I am trying to get some feedback for my moms 2001 monte carlo ss.Is there any common,or known cause for a draw on the battery on this year car?we had the car looked at by local mechanics,well im betting they are just part replacers,there is a difference,they put new alternators batteries belts,etc,etc..Anyway my poor mother has to go out every morning at 4am and start the car to keep the charge up,I suggested putting a trickle charge on it overnite till we fix the problem, but she cant set it up,and i live 45min away. If any of you chevyguys know of, or heard of this model having a specific problem please let me know .Thank you in advance any help greatly appreciated.....

Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: 2001 SS battery draining out

Nope, I had one the last couple weeks that was driving me insane, after being told that it wasn't my battery or alternator I pulled the fuses for my underglow and replaced them thinking that maybe that was pulling somehow without lighting up. So far I haven't had it die again, of course it was a slow drain, over a few days to get it low enough to not start.

Is there any sort of aftermarket items on her car that might be able to pull at all? Have you looked to make sure the lights all shut off? I'm pretty sure she has a trunk light and that might be staying on.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM

[align=center]Hi Pitdawg,[/align][align=center]Sorry that your Mom's having problems and your mechanic's can't[/align][align=center]find the problem : ([/align]
There is more than likely something that is drawing power while the car is off. If the alternator and battery have checked out fine and nothing is being left on, then the mechanic or you needs to check for a parasitic drain on the system. Basically everything needs to be off on the car and then he would remove the negative battery cable. An ammeter is then hooked up in series beween the negative cable and the negative battery post and a reading is taken. I would believe that your vehicle should draw somewhere between 10-25 milliamps (clocks, computers, radio memory all draw some current when the car is off). If there is a higher reading thenyou will have to start looking for the culprit.
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
There is either a short in the wiring or something is not shutting off...(like the glove box light etc etc)It's not impossible that the replacement battery could have a faulty cell in it that would prevent it from charging properly. You should also check for a short in the wiring. You may have a problem with a circuit in the computer that controls charging and ignition too. It may be worth the cost if you had a complete diagnostic done.
Oh, make sure the battery cables are tight & clean, it
the mechanic didn't do it properly.
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Wish you good `luck, U R a good son.
[align=center][/align]
`Space
[align=center][/align][/align]

Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM

i have a 03 SS and mine did this also.
Drove me nuts till i had the new battery load tested to find out it had a dead cell in it.
Go figure.

this was even a optimua yellow top so i had to replace it thanks god it was on thier dime LOL

But this is how i found the issue with mine.

Also you can check to make sure that the dome light and the glove box light and even the trunk lights are actually goign out. and even those damed map lights.

I have heard several folks say that the trunk light will stay on in thier car or the map lights were left on and becuse most folks dont see them at night it would burn and then drain things.

But i thought our cars were suposed to have the feture that shut everythign off after 20min. to keep this from happening. but it never seemd to help on mine

but those were the things i had to check.

the trunk one was easy. just knock the back seats down while it is closed and see if it is still lit. and also tell her to shake the car some to see if it is something that happens only when the switch gets bumped or moved to the right place.

the glove box you can empty out this and at night in the dark you can see if you see light comming out on it.

dome light well that should be easy enough.

Good luck

please let us knwo what ya find out

Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for the replies so fast!! I just got off the phone with my mother she thanks you as well.So i had her look to see where the bulb was in the trunk and glove box .Then wait a little while and open the door, then feel if the bulb was hot or warm...She did this and said they were cool.I wish i had time today to check spaces suggestion of checking the system with a ammeter,also looking through from the back seat is also somthing i would like to check as micky pointed out.Im going to see if i can drive down friday and do some poking around .Lots of great advice i thank you all again...any other suggestions or cases similar would love to here..keep motoring peeps...