Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 MC SS Fluid Draining Sound!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 01 MC SS Fluid Draining Sound!!

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS. Everytime I come to a stop (stop light or stop sign), it sounds like fluid is draining from my car. Everytime I pull off, it still has the same sound as well while in gear then it goes away (while in motion). I just got my oil and coolant changed so I don't know what could be the problem. Please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Does it sound like its inside from the cab?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 PM

It sure does! I was thinking it could be from the radiator but IM NO EXPERT.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'm not really sure of the workings behind the dash of a 6th Gen, but when ever you hear that, your heater core is leaking and there is water in compartment that holds the core.

Another question.

Does your windshield fog up badly? and does it go away when you turn on the A/C?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Yea, It does fogs up BADLY and it does go away when I turn the A/C on. If that is the reason, do you think that could cost a lot to get it repaired? Can I drive with it like that or is it MUST to repair ASAP.
The reason why im asking is because of MONEY SITUATIONS.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

I had the same problem, turned out to be a blocked heater core. Had heater core flushed and no more sound. Is the carpet wet or leaking inside the cab. I put up with the noise till I had very little heat coming from the vents. Had to specify heater core at repair shop, not just a coolant flush.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM

How much do you think it would cost to get it flushed? the carpet is not wet or nothing is leaking (thank goodness). I don't want to ride around with that and it end up getting worse.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 PM

I paid $35 for the flush.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

If you just got the coolant changed, it could just be the sytem working all the air out...that fluid draining noise you hear could just be the sound of coolant being sucked from the overflow container....you should check your coolant level in the overflow container, and top it off to the full mark if its low...if in fact it is low, I would not worry YET, cause there is a chance the only reason it is low is becauseall the air just got worked out of the system....but if y ou fill it back to the full mark, and it continues to make the noise for several days after, I would try topping off one more time...After that, if the noise doesnt stop, then I would look deeper into a problem.....

The only thing a little weird is the windows fogging up, that is not the greatest sign...but I always like to eliminate the simple stuff first......

Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM

You know what Mamonte, I don't know if I should just put straight pure coolant or mixed coolant because I don't know about toppin off the coolant and not knowing if to mix it or not. I have changed my coolant before on my OLD 90 Plymoth Acclaim back in 2000, but this car, well umm... I just let the shop do that because the way the radiator is setup on my car, I knew I was gonna mess something up with the little time I had to work on it. So thats why I took it too the shop.

Quick Reply: 01 MC SS Fluid Draining Sound!!