Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Battery draining - Possible electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Question Battery draining - Possible electrical problems?

Hello,

I own a 2006 Monte Carlo LT. A couple days ago I went to get into my car and noticed the key-less entry wasn't working. Once inside the car, it was clear the power was drained. I had a neighbor jump me and the car started right up. My neighbor also mentioned they noticed my dome light was on the previous night. Nice of them to mention that now, right? Anyway, I drove to the store, and on the way I noticed what sounded like my door locks locking or unlocking, and then the dome light came back on. After parking and turning the car off, the radio and dome light didn't turn off automatically. Once I got out of the car and locked it, the dome light turned off, but a few minutes later it turned back on. The same thing happened when I got the car back home.

I did some research online and couldn't find a clear answer, so I just pulled the bulb out of the dome light until I could figure out what's going on. But this didn't help as my car was dead again today - something else is draining the battery while the car is off.

I want to point out that last week I noticed water splashing around inside my doors after a rain storm. I looked this up online and found other's with the same issue. I followed their instructions and drained the water from the doors. Could this water have caused some issue? I read that there is a switch of some sort inside the door panel, that controls interior lighting and the remote locks - but have yet to find any diagrams or pictures on how to get to them.

Thanks for any info guys! Really annoying issue here as this is my only vehicle.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be possable for the water in the door to be your problem

As for the diagrams my local chevy dealer has provided me any digram I wanted free of charge have you check in wioth a local chevy dealer for a diagram?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
It could be possable for the water in the door to be your problem

As for the diagrams my local chevy dealer has provided me any digram I wanted free of charge have you check in wioth a local chevy dealer for a diagram?
I've been looking at this thread as it has a step by stop on how to open the door panel, but I'd still need to know what I'm looking for:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...removal-20761/

I actually have an appointment to get the recalled power steering pump replaced, so I can ask them if they can provide that diagram. So what do you think it could be IF the problem is in the door? Just a loose connection? Something rusted out?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM

So I took off both door panels. I checked all the connections - nothing that I could see looked rusted or disconnected/loose.

Is there a possible temporary solution like removing a fuse somewhere? I checked my user manual but the diagram doesn't match the fuse layout inside the car. I already tried removing the dome light bulb - the battery still drained.

Could this be an BCM or ECM issue? I keep reading about people having electrical issues related to those parts.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 PM

My Original battery started draining itself after 2-1/2 years.
The sides were blown out like a balloon from heat. It gets hot under that hood, couple raodtrips to florida and texas and a few heatwave traffic jams.
Bought/installed an optima yellowtop.
was dringing dead in less than a year.
Full replacement under warrantee.
that lasted over 3 years. Then the draing problem again.
Now I have Optima redtop. Didn't really fit, kinda wedged it in.
Its been good for over 1 year.

Still have original alternator (which surprizes me on a GM) but really its a denso, made in japan?
And, my streo with 6 amps can draw a Max of 90 Amps, but I never play it that loud. Might draw 25 when I crank the tunes.

I'd replace the battery first.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you checked the door jamb switches to insure they are being fully depressed when the door is closed?

Originally Posted by TomF106SS
My Original battery started draining itself after 2-1/2 years.
The sides were blown out like a balloon from heat.
When the sides of a battery bulges it means the battery is being overcharged. I would have the charging system inspected. Overcharging the battery can cause it to explode.