Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Sub under the driver's seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sub under the driver's seat?

Been thinking about installing a compact sub under the driver's seat (space is a concern in my Monte, as I frequently go on long car trips and can't take up a lot of trunk space with a sub). Wonder if anyone's done this, and if they know dimensions that I would need? I can measure it myself but know how things don't always quite fit right...would rather have someone's experience as a guide

Old 10-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

there isn't much space under there at all. I dont think you could put much of a sub down there.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 AM

A shallow subwoofer wouldnt fit under our seats. You would be better off trying to Infinite baffle a subwoofer or just buy a shallow box to fill in the area in the trunk. Google shaddow subwoofers & boxes. Not many local areas make the boxes for them, you may need to order it online. Im inserting mine into my rear deck in the spring. Or maybe before..depending on weather.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

wouldn't fit. put a shallow mount in one of the sides of the trunk

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM

I would recommend the JL Audio TW5, you could make a small box to hang to the back deck. I have one in my crew cab behind the rear seat & it rocks.

Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - TW5v2 - JL Audio

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I am totally new to car audio, but I recently replaced the stock speakers with some Pioneers I bought. Already sounds so much better! Now it got me wanting more lol. Was thinking about something like this:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power: Automotive Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power: Automotive

I know it's not super high-dollar, but would that do a decent job of giving me some more bass?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I was thinking the same as you. My problem is I have Custom wheels and Tires, 245/45r18s, 5 of them. Of course, the 5th 0ne will not fit in the spare tire pit in the trunk. So it sits in the trunk against the left rear seat and the Spare is still in the Pit. I might be able to put a compact sub in the pit if I get rid of the Spare but that's the only way for me. Just not a lot of space under the drive or passenger seats!!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bfenty
Thanks for the replies guys! I am totally new to car audio, but I recently replaced the stock speakers with some Pioneers I bought. Already sounds so much better! Now it got me wanting more lol. Was thinking about something like this: Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power: Automotive

I know it's not super high-dollar, but would that do a decent job of giving me some more bass?

Decent speaker for the price, id roll with it if your not a "Bass head".

And JC, I would recommend a corner box sub, they are fairly easy to make, and sometimes put out more of a "thump" rather than a solid box. Or, you could get some 6x9's, and plug up a amp with your speakers and rock it away with a decent amp and get speakers.

Now if your really wanting more of a solid boom, get a single sealed box, with a good woofer and a decent amp, remember watts isnt everything, and throw it out.

Now if your looking to spend more money in the long run, but save trunk space, look up free air subs. PM me you guys if you need more help hooking stuff up, ive been doing it since 16, lol.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Hiroska, Hay bud long time...
Thank for the advice, I been putting speakers in cars since before it was a good thing to do. Back when you had a broken Boom Box But the speakers worked so you sat them on your rear deck, hooked them to you car radio and let your 8 Tracks blast! That was a Millennium ago! Now I think my real problem is I've put so many stereos together in my life, for myself, family and friends, I don't think I have the Umph to do another one! (Another sign of Aging)

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Hiroska, Hay bud long time...
Thank for the advice, I been putting speakers in cars since before it was a good thing to do. Back when you had a broken Boom Box But the speakers worked so you sat them on your rear deck, hooked them to you car radio and let your 8 Tracks blast! That was a Millennium ago! Now I think my real problem is I've put so many stereos together in my life, for myself, family and friends, I don't think I have the Umph to do another one! (Another sign of Aging)
Lol it gets like that bro. I haven't even added subs to my new mc yet like I would with any car. I'm going for more an inner sound than outter. IMO I envy the audio systems in these Maximas and Altmas, like if trade mine for my moms anytime. But the speakers in our back are essentially what they call "6x9" subs. Most of the lows are on the rear, so replacing with free air subs should permit the same sound, it causes a mod to your car, but again it may be a way that u don't need to, I'm still investigating this for myself. But IMO I like my factory system in my 07. It just needs more thump!