Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinion on Gauges Plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I van get you the link to the pillar pod. If the top gauge isn't reading cpredct its probably just the sender that's bad I would change that and not sorry about a second temp gauge. I would do oil pressure and 2 aeroforces in this case lol or buy the oil pressure sender for the aerofodce and monitor it on the aero force and still get a wide band

And yes a car with a pillar pod makes people think it is quick and has work done to it so people will def wanna race lol.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Again, you say the coolant spikes and goes down, sounds like an air pocket or t-stat. You can validate if the cluster is the failure point by having someone connect a scantool (snap-on, OTC, sc2, anything that reads sensor data) to the data port under the dash, compare the temp reading the PCM has to the one seen on your instrument panel. That tells you if it's the cluster failing or something else failing.

Otherwise, you are possibly spending money on a solution that is really not a "fix", you may still have the temp issue. As turbo was mentioning, it's sorta pointless to get an aftermarket monitoring tool for something the factory gave you. Also, 115,000 miles it not really that big a deal as long as you watch and properly respond to the indicators the factory gave you (wife's Impala is 150,000, I sold my '94 Grand Am with 215,000).

I do agree that having additional gauges are nice to have. I swapped the cluster in my old '94 Grand Am to the full cluster with all the gauges the factory had to offer (and had to swap one part over to make the oil pressure gauge work). You can put in an SS cluster and gain a couple readings with a simple swap. No one has confirmed it, but I believe you can activate the oil pressure gauge on an SS cluster in a non-SS car (I did a lot of reading in the shop book and with a little work, I don't see why it cannot be done). Check my posting in the link below about the LS-to-SS cluster info (I have yet to see someone follow through with it). But if I'm right, it's probably a cheaper method to get a couple additional gauges, less work and a factory look.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...06/#post567711

But I still feel you need to validate that you don't have a temp problem.