Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New at stereo installation!!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question New at stereo installation!!

So im wanting to install a nice system in my 04 mc ss s/c. I never have installed a stereo before and when lookin around for a nice one at best buy i was told i needed a harness to keep my car "dinging." is this recommended or is it not that big a deal? Also, i kno that on a factory stereo ur able to reset oil life and other things so how would i be able to do those things if i replace the factory stereo???

Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 AM

The factory radio adapter harness is quite pricey. However it lets you keep your door dinger if you're forgetfull about lights or keys. Also, it lets you keep some options for reprogramming FOBs or like you said oil and tire pressure lights.

W/O it you can still reset most of those lights, i know the tire pressure light you have to pull the light switch on/off quickly 2 or 3 times, and the oil light i think you turn the key on and press the gas pedal 2 or 3 times fully. So its not necessary but can make life easier.

I ran mine w/o the adapter. The only other thing i had to do was run a power wire to the radio from an accy power. Since the factory radio gets its power from the serial bus in the harness, if you use just the wiring adapter its not going to get power unless you run one yourself.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I purchased the expensive harness and just didn't hook up the included speaker so I lost the door chimes which is ok with me haha.

Good to just buy that one so you can still have factory radio hooked up to reset various things I currently have mine just sitting in the trunk but I plan to make a trunk enclosure for it and maybe some seperate speakers coming from it so I can have it on at shows and stuff without the aftermarket in dash being on.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM

I've got the chime retention harness I just pulled from my car for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Do you have OnStar? If you do, I'd reccomend getting the harness, just makes life easier.

IffyG will probably be able to get you a better price, but, have you checked out Crutchfield.com? If you buy your head unit from them, they will give you 50% off the harness, plus life time tech support and anything else needed (Antenna adapter, dash kit, etc.) for free.

Just got my new stereo installed