Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 ls new fog light installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Question 01 ls new fog light installation

Hey I need some help!!! My son has an 01 LS and wants to put fog lights into the existing holes. He wants to do it as if a factory install. I already found the factory style light kits that are available on several different web sites for about $50 each. I am pretty sure the factory harnesses are not installed. I did also see that in the engine fuse box there are slots for fog lights, and fog light relay. Here is the big question...So once I get the fog lights mounted...what next??? How do I wire to the engine fuse box. Also, how do I wire from the switch (he wants to mount on the dash at the empty panel slot) to the engine fuse box?? Are there wires already connected to the relay and fuse slots that I need to use and if so which wires are they. If there are not already wires attached to the relay and fuse slots how do I do that? Figured I would turn to you experts for directions before attempted to re-invent the wheel! FYI...I havent purchased anything yet!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rasken
Hey I need some help!!! My son has an 01 LS and wants to put fog lights into the existing holes. He wants to do it as if a factory install. I already found the factory style light kits that are available on several different web sites for about $50 each. I am pretty sure the factory harnesses are not installed. I did also see that in the engine fuse box there are slots for fog lights, and fog light relay. Here is the big question...So once I get the fog lights mounted...what next??? How do I wire to the engine fuse box. Also, how do I wire from the switch (he wants to mount on the dash at the empty panel slot) to the engine fuse box?? Are there wires already connected to the relay and fuse slots that I need to use and if so which wires are they. If there are not already wires attached to the relay and fuse slots how do I do that? Figured I would turn to you experts for directions before attempted to re-invent the wheel! FYI...I havent purchased anything yet!
I work with electronics and wiring a lot and one thing I can tell you is that trying to follow a manufacturer's design and do thw wiring after the car has been will be very dificult. The first thing is to grab a multi meter and see if the sockets for the fog lights in ghe fuse block have power. If so the next step is to do a continuity check and find where the output for that circuit is. IF you find a voltage and get continuity THEN you have to get a fog lights switch from an ss or gp gt and since I'm pretty sure all the lights run through the bus system its a pretty dificult thing to do. What I would sugest beacuse their is pribably A LOT of things missing from the LS cars that if you have some experience with electronics make your own circuit, wire it to a held relay controlled by a switch or button you wire in the passenger compartment. Their are a couple other guys who could chime in on this and I hope they do but the fact is I dont know how much of the fog light assembly is missing on an LS. It night be easier to re-invent the wheel then to try and found out how much of the wheel they made for you and how much you habe to fill in.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rasken:
Welcome to the forum!

IMO, that it will be ok to mount the fog lights in there original designed position, as well as putting a switch in the dash where its blank...

As far as wireing it up.... I believe the simpler the better,,, I currently have after market fog lights in mine.... So just to be safe... Rather than trying to wire it up within the original system.... Why not just go ahead and wire it up with a hot lead and a common ground...hook up the switch in line (in the dash position) and that way you totally eliminate any problematic issues using the stock configuration.

Please let us know which way you went to get this issue resolved and please feel free to post some pics as you progress with this new Mod!
I would have addressed you with your name , However... You have yet to fill out your profile... and pls post pics in your garage to share with all the members here...
Pls feel free to join in on the conversation in our daily blog and just say hi!
Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Hey thanks, very helpful! (I think lol). So what your suggesting is a separate relay (not part of existing fuse box). Power the fox lights through that controlled by a separate switch? Right???

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Man you guys are fast! I was replying to the first post! So now that I got two of you posting input...is the relay necessary or if I eliminate that and just complete the circuit through the switch, will I burn up the switch???

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM

As long as you guys are helping...am I going the right direction as far as purchasing the lights? What I am looking at is fog light with mounting brackets specifically for the 00-05 MC? It appears to be a simple bolt in application but knowing the old phrase "if it looks too good to be true it probably is", I figured I'd ask

Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As long as you guys are helping...am I going the right direction as far as purchasing the lights? What I am looking at is fog light with mounting brackets specifically for the 00-05 MC? It appears to be a simple bolt in application but knowing the old phrase "if it looks too good to be true it probably is", I figured I'd ask
As long as the mounts that come with it are the "stock" mounts then I think it will be a no brainer....

As far as using the relay..are you talking about the stock relay with in the cars system? Or does the fog lights come with there own seperate relay?

If it cimes with the relay...Then I would suggest using the relay!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

The only reason I sugested a relay is so that when you turn off the car the fog lights will turn off. You could siply run a fused toggle switch or run it off a keyed circuit. The stock fog lights will work, if you want to go after market their are some billet LED ones but the problem would be mounting them. Luckily the stock monte carlo fog lights will mechanically fit. Btw it would have to be an electronically held relay, basically it will close the contacts when you flip the switch (so it can be a toggle switch or button not a spst where you have to flip it on and off every time) but it all depends on how electronically inclined you are.