Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

my sound system project on my 04' monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by eviling
yeah, you're going to have to mod it, but 8's will EASILY fit in these doors. I woudln't use stock bafels anyways, ive been meaning to build some for my car for months, lol but just never got around to it. should of done it with the install use a hardwood, or a synthedic sound dampended material i know there are some out there. personaly some standard MDF is plenty secure to do something.

the modding you're going to be doing will be cutting some sheet metal out of the doors opening, i don't think the window struts get in the way in these door panels. should be plenty of room. i know in smaller cars you have to move the window struts, but these are plenty large.

Thats what I figured, appreciate the info. When I get to building I'll show pictures. I'm going to deaden my doors, I have mdf laying away also.

With that being said, I have some Hifonics Zues Zxi 6.5 comps brand new in box, 100w rms each side and a brand new Audiopipe mini apsm-2075 amp, 75w x 2 RMS @ 4ohms

Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dezzyboi16
One question, any one think I can fit a 8" mid on that mounting plate?

Overall diameter of my mid is 8.25", depth is 3.75". I'll make a mdf mounting plate on top of the factory one for added clearance if someone can tell me if it'll fit
No, an 8" driver won't fit in the factory baffle. You seem intent on keeping that baffle though, why? Just make a trim ring out of MDF and call it a day. But one thing to consider is how much depth you have to work with. I'm not too sure you're gonna have that much clearance for your window to clear the 8". You should roll down your window, pull the door panel off, pull the speaker out and measure how much depth you really have from the surface of the door to the window so you'll know how tall your trim ring will need to be to ensure it clears. But you're also gonna have to modify the door panel as well so it goes on all the way.

yeah, you're going to have to mod it, but 8's will EASILY fit in these doors.
Easily huh? I guess easy is a subjective term so it all depends on how we all define it. I don't know of anyone here who has the skills to consider getting 8's into the doors as being easy, you included.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Photobucket

by easy i mean there is plenty of room.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 PM

by easy i mean there is plenty of room.
If 2.5" is plenty of depth, then yes, I'd agree. If he was to make an mdf mounting ring it would have to be 1.25" tall in order for it to work since his driver is 3.75" deep, then there's the issue of modifying the door panel to get it to fit over that 8" speaker. It can be done, but it's gonna take alot of fabrication and modification.