General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2006 SS Monte Carlo - sound system info

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Default 2006 SS Monte Carlo - sound system info

I have a '06 Monte Carlo SS and I made the mistake of upgrading to the Premium sound system.....I absolutely love the car but I will admit that the sound system kinda stinks. I pulled the sound system from my '99 Monte (that I traded in) and I am thinking of putting the sub and amp into my '06. I'd like to keep the deck that came with the car (just trying to keep it stock looking). What do you think of this? I'm not into thumping my brains out, but every once in a blue moon I do like to listen to something a wee-bit on the loud side.

Oh, and by the way, it's a 5 channel Alpine amp that I would hook my stock (bose) speakers into also.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Default RE: 2006 SS Monte Carlo - sound system info

I have an '06 with the "Premium" system, and I too will be upgrading shortly. I've done some research and so far haven't found any wire harnesses available yet. This means you will need to tap into the speaker wires before they enter the amp in the trunk. This is assuming you are going to remove the factory amp. If you plan on using the factory speaker wire you can also tap into those wires in the trunk too. There are separate wires for the tweeter and mid-woofer in the front doors and separate wires for the sub/mids in the 6X9 rears too. ( 8 "speakers" in 4 locations ). You will need to run new power/ground wire for your amp but you should be able to tap into one of the wires going into the factory amp for your blue 'turn-on' wire. I think you can improve the sound of the factory front speakers significantly if you add some sound deadening to the doors. You might also consider removing the rear 6X9 speakers. This will open up some vent holes to allow the sub into the cabin.

Over the next couple of weeks, I hope to install the following in my Monte:
CDT components in the front doors powered by a JL Audio 300/4
Image Dynamics ID10 subs 'free-air' in the rear deck powered by a JL 500/1
Sound deaden the front doors and rear deck/trunk with Second Skin Damplifier

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM

if i'm understanding correctly all you want to do is add a sub and amp to your existing system. if thats the case, i did the same thing to my '02, i dont know how different or similar it would be to your '06. my advice to you, if you want to keep the stock unit, get a line output converter for your system. basically it taps off of your rear deck speakers and uses that as an input signal for you amplifier, similar to what you would get from RCA cables from your head unit, then run your remote wire from your fuse box. i have mine connected to the accessories fuse meaning the amp will not turn on unless all the accessories are on as well. but you still have to run your power and ground wires. hope this will help ya out
later
mikeyB

Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM

yeah, I had heard that about the Bose system from the Impala SS crowd... that's why I stayed with the "standard" stereo/cd changer/speakers... haven't had any problems with it and sounds fine. Usually only listen to it on the way to work in the mornings anyway - other than that I have it off so I can listen to my car