Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

my sound system project on my 04' monte

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Photobucket
Default my sound system project on my 04' monte

whelp i've been talking about it since i got my monte on these forums, and i finily started it yesterday and today, and hope to finish it tomarow. I have broken it down into 3 stages, as a full system install is a rather massive undertaking to be honest.

yesterday I bought the chime harness to be able to wire it, i wired and spliced that all up into my harness, and mounted the new deck, but since my deck is a dead head (no output aside from rca's, i kept the stock deck in for now) i also mounted the ground cable to the back seat back buckle, and today I wired up the distribution blocks and mounted the amps, and put the rca's up to the amps and put them under the seat coiled up temporally. I also did a dry mounting of the speakers to make sure they'll all fit, and since I studied my paneling and read up on my car, i was able to remove my door panels as if I'd done it 100 times, and it only took me about 1 min to remove the whole panel and have the speakers out.

I put them in to check for clerence issues and if i'd have to do any modding...and I do not i havn't put them in yet, it'll be last.

tommarow i'm running the main power line, and the rca's down the center console to the amps. than i'll be able to bring the rca's up to the deck and mount it all in.

the sytem i'm putting in
alpine PDX 1.1000
ALpine PDX 4.150
JBL c608GTI MKii 6 1\2" commponent system
eclipse cd7200 mkii

I'm running this system active, with out the rear speakers, taking them out for porting for sub into cabin.

for dash mounting in the future I plan to add a custom monte dash kit, but untill than i have a standard pocket mounted in it for now.

or as seen in another members build on this forum

now, for some images of my build so far. I don't have that many images, as i didn't have my phone today...can;t find the bugger i'll get some more tomarow during my build. for now, enjoy these.

the dash with the wire harness and chime box.

my lawn where i threw my entire car interior, looks like a read necks lawn

this is what i'm working with the engine compartment, very clean engine. my car onloy has 44,000 miles.

that's all I have for now unfortunatly, but i'll be updating tomarow evening, assuming i don't get rained out

heres a video of my old build. from when i first installed my eclipse deck into it, i've pretty much kept all the old equipment i had. except i didn't put my cap into this system

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKEEc7LYsU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by eviling; 07-12-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM

hey, that pictures looks familiar

Nice start on your build bro, lookin' good. Nice choice on products too

Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Photobucket

yeah you ever figure out what was giving you electrical issues with that modual? i just installed my deck and tested it today with my amps and some speakers and drove it aruond and had no problems to speak of, idk what you ran into but i had no problems, and thanks to you i have the box placed better, origonaly i had it mounted on the right side(drive side) of the area, but that isnt ported into the cabin as well as the pasenger side of the dash, so i mounted it up on the right side. sounds great, and works for all the warnings. i also tore down the rear wall like you did, except i had to completly remove it for my deck, the harness had no problems fiting but the chasy of the deck was to long and was hitting the back. so it all came down except the bolt.

any how, i'm just about done, still need to run the ground to something up in the engine compartment, and run speaker wires and mount the new speakers, whitch hopfully won't be to much of a pain in the dick :|

so, as i promised. some pictures.

my cars interior sitting in my front lawn...thank god it didnt rain :|

rear hot final termination before closing back seat

where the wires went under the carpet to run to the back seat to the distubation blocks

hot wire termination up in the engine area *pulling 1\0 wire through a 1\
8" hole is no easy task to say the least

wire ran through the firewall

amps mounted on rear seat (still not wired for speakers)

pulling rca's >_< this is where i cut my finger

battle wounds

Last edited by eviling; 07-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Looking GREAT!! Hey, you think you could give me a link to that dash kit? Do they make it in different colors?? But yeah, looks like you're doing it the right way, not just getting it done as quick as you can.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Photobucket

oh i dont do estetic, i keep it clean and i keep it practical. i have each 4 gauge wire looped with almost 2 feet extra, there is 5 feet extra of speaker wire under the rear seat, along with extra length of the 1\0, not quite much extra, just enought to be able to relocate it. and the rca's..well their damn long for this set up :| cheap but theyu did the job, i used to have a good set. but they were to tight and a pain in the ***, and i didn't trust them as much as the cheap set to be honest. so i didn't even bother taking it out of my old car. tehe

I ended up going passive in the end, it was just not working out to swell with the active set up, i drove around for awhile but it was very hard to tweak the tweeters to the right settings that they woudlnt be over powered with out being way to soft. so i droped in the passive cross overs.

the kit can be found here
http://maptechenterprises.com/humoun...7cf4dbc4466837
you can have it say anything, have a selection of like 5 colors, and you can even have no letters, or switch them from top or bottom. it comes out to about 90$ or 100$ shipped with LED and standard lettering, its like 25$ for custom lettering, but still not a bad beat for such a custom piece. if i had an ss i might of made something crafty, but im just sticking with monte carlo ;P

anyhoo, final images.

whelp i did end up having to do some tweaking to the bracket, but not much. just drilled out the hole to fit the fixture my tweeter use and cut out a corner so that bolt on the back of the fixture for it would screw down with out tweaking the whole piece out of shape.

I did have to cut some of the door out to so that it would fit the back of the tweeter mount

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by eviling
my cars interior sitting in my front lawn...thank god it didnt rain :|

Hey, it's a Monte Carlo Yard Sale! I'd pull over for that! :p

Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Photobucket

lol who does that. i ran into a little snag, i accidently screwed up the balance and i thought i was having issues, and it turned out to just be the balance was set wrong :| fixed now and it sounds awsome can't wait till i install the rear speakers, moneys a little tight still so yeah.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Photobucket

just ordered my the custom dash kit can't wait, especily since the crappy dash kit i have now doesnt even hold the deck square enough for the motorized face to flip out :| i'll have pictures by next week some time when it comes
here are some images i got from my good buddy mark, who makes these units, he was kind enough to get me some images of the unit to show me how well it will mount the deck and everything.

Last edited by eviling; 07-16-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Photobucket

spoke with mark over at humounts.com again, and he told me my order wil be done by friday and shipped out, so it'll be a bit yet before i get that custom dash kit, i also just ordered a new key gasket, becuase i broke the legs off the one on my dash when doing the install, cost me 12$ no big lose.

I'm changing some things, i'm droping in a 3 way system, i found sombody over at DIY forums selling a set of CDT HD642, with upgraded components, ES-010 tweets, and M6 middrivers, probobly gonna take some modding to the kick panel in the door, thinking about what to do with the 4" driver, was thinking of something like this

but i might do some oldschool kick panels too, but i would prefer A pillar mountings, but kick panels might be, it depends on fi i can find replacement A pillar frames to do this mod on.

for the rear, i havn't done anything yet, still just sitting with dead space. i'm planning on dropping some speakers in, just because i have the chanels, not that it really makes the difference. it'll also sound better when i have passengers in the back, makes no difference for the driver seat really :|
I was looking at some PPI 6x9's that can handle 150 watts rms each, they look really nice and it's PPI you can't go wrong.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI+PC.692.html

Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Coming along nicely man. I hope that 3 way setup works out for you, it's the best way to go for sure and you have the right deck to run active too (if that's the cd7200). The only thing I'd do different if I were you is separate your signal/power runs and add some protection to said wires where they come into contact with the metal bracket under the center console armrest. As is, you have the remote wire (power) run alongside your rca's (signal).....you should get in the habit of keeping your signal and power wires separate because sometimes it can induce engine noise. It might not make a difference but i'm just **** about those kind of things, I'd rather do it right the first time than to get it all back together only to have to tear it up to redo it.

Same for the protecting of those wires where they come into contact with the metal bracketry....it's not very likely for them to more around enough for the metal to wear through the jackets of the wires but again, better to err on the side of caution IMO.

As for your 3 way setup, it would sound sick if you could glass the tweet and 4" into the A pillars and put the midbass in the stock location, especially if your deck is the cd7200 cause you can run them active and set the proper time alignment so your soundstage and imaging is ideal.

Good luck on the rest of your build man, looking good.

Quick Reply: my sound system project on my 04' monte