Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Audio problems and questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Default Audio problems and questions

So I recently got my car on the road and realized that the stock speakers in my car were blown! So i went down and started comparing prices and talking to people in stores. I finally settled on Kicker KS series for the speakers. I got the 690s in the back no problem and they sound great. I was sold 650s for the froont (6.5s) and they didn't fit. What I'm wondering is did I do something wrong? Well they screwed up and gave me the wrong size speakers as refund so for now I've got 5.25s in the front and its brutal and waiting on 6"s for the front. I realized though that I had a lot more bass from the stock speakers (only listening for backs since fronts aren't counting til i get the proper speakers in) and friends and store workers all tell me that I'm gonna need a sub for good bass. Well damn. Luckily for me I had a 1000 watt alpine mono amp that i got for dirt cheap and there was a huge audio sale near and got a Kicker 12" sub for $130 (I do live in Canada so prices are higher)
I'm now looking for a cheap box to get this going right.
I've got friends who do a lot of audio setups so they've been helping me out but still the more opinions the better.

I do have a few concerns being
I notice other people put 6.5" speakers in the front of their montes and am questioning why the 6.5s I bought would not go
My speakers have the tweeters in them. What are pros of having them seperate? I know my friends Cobra Mustang has the tweeters up high beside the window (not sure if stock or aftermarket audio) and the salesman who sold me my speakers told me there was zero advantage (which i seriously doubt)
I do not know what the power of the stock amp is in the car and am wondering if I'm gonna hate myself when I have to spend a while and a lot of money installing a 4 channel amp.
Did I get screwed with salesmen pitch with the system i got?
How do boxes differ? I see and hear people throwing around "ported" and "sealed" I'm assuming ported boxes are those with an opening on one side but I am not certain about how that would be advantageous.
Any and absolutely all input is appreciated as I know I normally learn stuff the hard and expensive way with life anyway

Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM

never heard of 6.5s not fitting. Mine do o_O As far as your sub box goes, DO NOT GO CHEAP. You will have vibrations out the a$$ and that's just annoying. As far as sub boxes, if space is an issue, sealed will do, but it wont sound as loud. Ported is louder, but doesn't measure up to the quality of sealed, unless you tune it just right. If you do, then you're golden. But ported tends to be bigger because of the air space it requires.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't quite get it but yea; the 6.5" speakers were no way going in without me slicing the baffle which I want to avoid.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM

they wont fit because of the tweeter that sits ontop of the woofer! i was going to buy those for my monte but i called crutchfield and they went over exactly what speakers will fit my front doors. Im ordering a pair of POLK DB seakers which are 6.5s and do fit. give crutchfield a call they are the best place to get electronic equipement. Sure u culd get the same stuff for 50 or more bucks SOMETIMES cheaper over on ebay BUT u wont get the same customer satisfaction, warrentys, support, and loyalty. for exampl crutchfield got my to buy a GMOS adaptor to install a aftermarket radio in my 06 monte. The adaptor failed, i sent it back got a new one within that week and 2 months later it failed again. The PAC brand adaptor was selling at 200 bucks and did the same job but without the negative problems and crutchfield sent me one free of charge. (they suggested the GMOS first cause it was 50 bucks cheaper)

Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Update: I finally got my right speakers (kicker 6"s for the front) they fit well and sound better. I'm concerned about the stock amp not running enough juice to the speakers? They sound good now but will they decrease when the sub gets installed tomorrow? If i do run an amp for the speakers will I have to get a whole new wiring kit or will the wiring thats rated at 1000 watts for the sub be able to connect to that one?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM

The stock amp isn't running enough juice to them because it's a 2 ohm amp and your speakers are 4 ohms

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DBS MC
The stock amp isn't running enough juice to them because it's a 2 ohm amp and your speakers are 4 ohms
i used to make that assumption, but ive been seeing that the 2 ohm speaker system is the mid range premium system, and the majority of the montes that people seem to have just have 4 ohm speakers. :\

if your interested, i have an entire stock sound system laying around, including brackets.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
i used to make that assumption, but ive been seeing that the 2 ohm speaker system is the mid range premium system, and the majority of the montes that people seem to have just have 4 ohm speakers. :\

if your interested, i have an entire stock sound system laying around, including brackets.
Ah, didn't know that.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 PM

sorry to be such a bother; and in advance thank you everyone who has helped. you've helped me a lot.
Is it possible to run a stock head unit with a sub? i know a whole lot of people don't do it but i can't quite seeing myself needing much more than it has and it looks so clean. If there is an adapter available will i still have steering wheel controls? What do aftermarket decks really do?