Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Factory Audio problems '01 LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Default Factory Audio problems '01 LS

Long time reader, 1st time poster...Hello everyone. Hope this is in the right place.

Well, here goes. Bought new subs, amp and deck. My LS has the factory amp in the trunk. My buddy says, "Hey, I'll install all that for free this weekend, don't worry about it. I can even use the factory deck and you can return that one". Sounded confident. I had faith - we've been friends along time. Well, I'm an idiot for letting my idiot friend pretend he knew what he was doing when he installed my subs. I thought I would try and save some money by going this route. I guess not. He butt spliced the RCA input from the amp to the rear deck speakers for the input signal.Since the speakers were still connected to the factory amp it gave a boosted signal to thenew amp.Ididn't know about this until...one day, driving down the road, the right side goes out. I questioned what hiswiring methods were. This is what he told me. Doesn'tseem good at all.

Ihave faint crackly audio from the right side, front and back. Left side is fine. Does this sound likea channel on the amp is out or is the deck the issue?Tyring to figure out what I'm up against.

Thanks for replys in advance. (And sorry for the long post.)

Forgot this, I should note that I have since removed all aftermarket audio from my car. I have this problem with just the factory deck and amp.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Factory Audio problems '01 LS

ok the easy fix is this,
go to a stereo shop and tell them you want to get a HI/LO box. It shoudl have wires for left and right channel and i belive this is it. (been a while since i looked at one)

you take the left REAR speaker wire off the car AT THE SPEAKER!! NOT THE AMP!! and hook it in to both the high low box and also the rear left factory speaker. Then repaet this whole thing on the left side.

on th ebox it should have a place to turn the gains up from the speakers. turn them all the way up and adjust the amp to where ya want it (this is how i did mine at first)

as far as the faint crakeling it could be the deck,speakers, or just a short in his wireing.

But honestly the factory speakers are not that great and they will hold up to some abuse but not to much.
I finally changed my deck ou tto the wone i ahve now becuse i didnt liek the set up i had to do to get the subs in to it.

Now i still have the factory amp in the car hooked up like normal,
then i have a hiphonics amp mono block hitting just the subs (2 12's) in a sealed box and for the most part it hits great and sounds good. but i need to change the subs mine are junk. But when i first did all of this it was great sound and very stabel and reliabel.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

you take the left REAR speaker wire off the car AT THE SPEAKER!! NOT THE AMP!! and hook it in to both the high low box and also the rear left factory speaker. Then repaet this whole thing on theLEFT side.
^^ Thats confusing...I only have one left side. LoL

Correct me if im wrong, the box your referring to is used to PROPERLY connect an aftermarket amp to the factory audio system. If so, great, but I'm not looking to do that now. I just want my factory stuff to work. I'm thinking the way my friend hooked up the other stuff has caused my problems with the factory stuff.

Is there some troubleshooting procedures I can do on the factory amp or deck to verify channel output? I've pulled all the aftermarket stuff out, including the wiring. Taped up all his splice locations. So there shouldn't be any shorts.My dealerwants my arm, leg, and 1st born for a replacement amp. Tryed to find one at a bone yard and did, for $100. Just couldn't pull the trigger until I'm pretty sure that's my problem.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:38 PM

yes you have one wire on the car going to your your factory speaker, and also one comming from teh ehad unit to the Factory AMP.
You want the one going to the speaker not the one in front of the amp.

As far as what your saying tryign to take it back to stock then yeah fix what he screwed up and start over if it dont work then most likely it is the amp that is cooked or he has the power goign to the factory amp disconected etc...
all you can do is retrace all the step he did or ask him how he managed to screw it up/. \

this is not a tuff install. i would think ray charles would have a fightign chance on putting this in. But he could have fried it to. Also check fuses to make sure they are in good shape also.