Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

speaker baffle tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
3 Year Member
Default speaker baffle tutorial

I've just finished my first fiberglass project in my car, and i emassed a couple pictures, and i thought i would indulge everybodys eyes with the results of my experiment. enjoy

first, we made the rings for the speakers.

than, we shall make the shape of the frame of said baffle, for me i had a stock one to trace also cut a hole in said frame for the speaker ring

check your work

than, depending on your rought, you find your axis, for me this is the angle the baffle needs to angle when the door is closed to aim at the people in the car.

than tweak your angles

secure the angle you desire with a means, i used tape, towels and glue are fine as well, i had some but prefered the tape, gave a better shape for the fiberglass.

this part is optional really, but you can fill in the entire gap with tape to get the shape of what you wish to fiberglass.

than, simply apply fiberglass. to save time, a higher ratio of hardner and dual or triple layers of fiberglass helps speed up this process, not advisable if you're not careful it can become to brittle but my final step eliminated that problem for me.

dry......

check your Clarences your material will build, i took special care to clean out every time a did a layer, a dremel tool is your best friend for this project.

more fiberglass..more drying

this is optional, i did it because i was worried about stress on the baffle, and vibrations in the unit, i used fine hair bondo. it looks gross, but it hardness as hard as steal.

than install and pad your self on the shoulder, you've done it oh and don't forget to let it cure for 72 hours, otherwise you're car will smell like a meth lab ^_^

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Wow.

Good job on taking on such a project, and for doing things so McGyver-esqe they actually came out better than I thought.

But

Never a good idea to put fiberglass and/or kitty hair on the speaker mounting surface of the baffle. I don't understand why you fiberglassed/kitty haired the whole piece instead of just doing so to ensure the mounting ring was secured to the baffle. It's not like that piece is going to be torqued. I didn't see any mention of you using anything to seal the wood to the door itself, did you? I never knew kitty hair was used to reduce/eliminate resonance and vibrations, I thought that's what sound deadener was for?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
3 Year Member

i used it for structure, because i didnt want any vibrations coming through the baffle AT ALL, i was really worried about the gaps where the angles were because they were so thin.. the kitty hair was an accidental buy, it was bondo for another project but i didnt realise i bought the wrong bondo, so since i had it laying around i used it to see how it worked...and the stuff is incredible O_O very strong, veryyyyyyyyy long cure time, it dried fast, but it took days for it to cure to the point that it didnt smell

i did deaden the baffle though, the underside of it is covered.

eventualy when i get a chance i'm going to deaden it much like yours, but the mat i have doesnt stick well in the cold, it stays like a champ, but to get it their takes allot of work in the cold.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 03-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.