Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Many Questions and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Default Many Questions and Problems

New to the forum and from the looks of things I’m not the only one with some of my many problems. I have searched for forums on these problems but I was wanting to see if anyone had any input for the specific issues I have been having. In advance thanks any assistance.

2002 SS Dale Earnhart Edition, 3800 only modifications are Drop-in K&N Filter and Aftermarket Mufflers

Problems and Question:

1- While driving SECURITY light on message center illuminates, stays on steady. Very random, and never causes the engine to shutdown.

2- PASSLOCK actives randomly. This problem started immediately following the replacement of the batteries in the KEY-FOB. Waiting for 15-45 minutes sometimes works. Using different key some times works. Shifting out of PARK and back to PARK sometimes works. My keys have no markings of PK of + on them and I have never had new keys produced.

3- Knocking, looseness, or play in the steering wheel. (Not a CV joint problem) I had this looked at while under warranty but it is back and the warranty is out. They stated something about a bolt that has potential of wallowing out the hole it is in. Supposable it is in the union between the rack and pinion assembly and the steering wheel shaft. Anyone else with this problem? Have you fixed it yourself and how involved is the task?

4- Sticky operation of sunroof. Opening can take many tries of cycling the switch to FINALLY get open. Shutting, it will go to the cracked open and the again a couple of time and it will finally go full shut.

5- CAI Question K&N makes one and Wizaired makes one. It either better than the other? It seems that K&N is more open and is designed more towards replacing the stock air box as far as providing support to the computer.

6- Replacement head-rest? I have the ones with bowties in red. I jacked one up a bit and I’m trying to locate a replacement.

Thanks again for any and all help
-Rick

Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Many Questions and Problems

rick first of all welcome to MCF! (i think i already did that in an other thread lol) and i am sorry to hear of all the problems u seem to be having...hopefully others here can answer ur questions, u seem to b havin a few odd questions...did u use our search engine to look for a few of ur problems? if not check it out

Old 12-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Many Questions and Problems

Sorry to hear about your problems. It IS a Chevy, and just be thankful you're not repairing a Cadillac, at about 3-4x's the cost. I'll try to answer your ?'s, and where I can't, someone will.
1 & 2 sound like the same problem to me. I'm thinking maybe you're battery is loose, or the ground connection is off in your FOB, and giving you security problems. Check to see that the ground clip is tight, and maybe try resetting your FOB, as in replacing the battery.
3. COMMON problem in ALL the W-body cars. and others, also. It's a design issue, and no supplier has been able to come up with a better design, supposedly. It is your Intermeddiate Steering Shaft, or ISS, and if it is too bad it needs to be replaced, but it probably just needs to be repacked with grease. Your Chevy or Pontiac dealer should be able to do this for about .5 hrs. It is possible to do it yourself, also, but I haven't. I had mine replaced in my '01 SS LE. I'm ready to have mine repacked in my '04 Intimidator SS at 69,000 mi.
4. Can't help you there, other than it sounds like it needs lube or cleaning I've never had a problem with either car with that. Maybe someone else can help there.
5. I hav the K&N, and it it too open on top. I had to make a cover for it. I bought it for the smooth tube. The Wizaired box is the best on the market, but I don't like their bellows tube. Personal preference here, but for your N/A 3.8, I'd go with the Wizaired box myselp.
6. Which one did you screw up? Is the vinyl and embroidery messed up? Good luck in finding a replacement, but you could get a used one and have a bow-tie embroidered in to match, maybe. I have a used drivers seat, complete for sale.
Hope SOME of thos helps.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.