Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Aftermarket head unit

hey as most of you know i have n 03 monte carlo and i was wondering if you have to have amy special harnesses out side of the plug to match the factory harness
becasue i keep getting conflicting statements from differnt installers in my area some saying i need the 100 dollar harness and other saying i can do it with the cheaper on saying i would just lose my chime in the car i just want to know if they are tring to rip me off or do i really need this harness

Old 06-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket head unit

if you dont have onstar you will only lose the chime i have one of the cheap ones in my car right now.

But if to do it again i would have used the 100 buck vasoline harnes

It retains the factory bells. and it also allows you to hear any of your warning bells to. IE Door open,trunk open,fule low etc....

Anythign that would normally trigger the Messesge center and also the bell for your attention will be now done with out the bell.

If you leave your lights on they will be that way when you come back instead of hearing the bell goign off when you open the door to remind you to shut them off.

I will replace mine shorty with the more exp. one becuse the wife likes to run mine out of gas and dont pay attention to the guage as she has never had to in the past when it dings she hunts down a station and fills it up.

so for my puorpuus of not having to push my car it will be paid off the first time i dont have to pray for a gas pump! LOL

Other wise no you do not need the high dollar harnesse for the radion or the car to work .

Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM

I have an 03 and when i bought it, it had a junk aftermarket cdplayer in it so i replaced it with a better one. it had that chime box and im so close to ripping it out cuz its so friggin loud and annoying. you can just get a wiring harness from best buy and it'll work just fine, cost you about 30 bucks

Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 AM

see mine dont have the chime box in it LOL

that is one of those things i really dont miss at all but have to come up with something to make it work so i dont have the wife runnign me out of gas LOL

But if ya rip it out let me know i will trade ya the one i have LOL

Seriously i would be interasted in it. I can always figure out a way to trun it down or hide it so it dont aim right at me . If i knew what the diffrence between them were i would figure out how to modify the one i have to make it work liek that one.
it has to be somethign to due with the second plug im sure of this but what i have no clue yet.
I shall figure it out someday

Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm thinking about putting a factory deck back in my car cuz i dont like the chime and would rather have a cleaner look cuz my pioneer is a greyish color while my dash and everything is black. i also miss the oil life monitor and that sorta stuff. the only problem is i dont have a stock cd deck. i saw one on ebay from an 06 and wanted to get it but it had sold so o well.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i might sell ya mine when i change it out

Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 AM

hell paint the one ya have LOL

Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 PM

this is what i got for my monte.... DI GM Class ebay should have them for less then 100, i got mine for $35, havent recieved it yet but it looks like what i need to keep the door chime