Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket head unit installs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Default Aftermarket head unit installs

Having a double din stereo from the factory means if installing a single din head unit that you're gonna end up with a cheesy looking installation kit. I know people out there modify em so they don't look so bad, let's see yours. Whether you modified it or not, let's see your head unit install pics.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM

bump ttt

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

This is mine

This is back when i had my alpine HU, it was a single din with the kit to make it fit.

This is what i got now, it a double din so no need for that kit, sorry these pics dont look so great

Old 08-23-2009, 01:59 PM

when you hooked it up, were there two plugs plugged into the factory deck? A large grey one and a smaller black one? If so, what did you do with the smaller black one?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 PM

GOT SPL

I used the GMOS wiring harness. they both just plug into that. then the other-side works like all other harnesses. back before i had put in the aftermarket amp. for some reason the GMOS uses RCA to plug into the HU, then goes to factory amp. (i think its called the GMOS harness, it is the really expensive one, got it on ebay half off)

Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I used the GMOS wiring harness. they both just plug into that. then the other-side works like all other harnesses. back before i had put in the aftermarket amp. for some reason the GMOS uses RCA to plug into the HU, then goes to factory amp. (i think its called the GMOS harness, it is the really expensive one, got it on ebay half off)
So when you put in the aftermarket amp, did you still have to use that black plug?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM

GOT SPL

without looking at it directly i wont be 100% sure. but if its the one i think, the black one runs to the factory speakers, which if you are useing an amp and running new wire to the speakers then no you dont need it.

But i do know from other cars i have done often on the "black" one there often is a wire for something else like ignition? for example.... i am not currently looking at the plug so i cant be sure, but if there are 2 wires per speaker and there is 4 speakers there should be 8 wires, with 4 different colors there and 4 of them have a white stripe , so if thats whats on that one then for what you are asking you dont need it!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM

GOT SPL

oh.... and for some reason that harness has RCA plugs at the HU that runs into that "black"? plug and goes out to the speakers. (you can cut them off and make it like normal be connecting to the harness of the HU like normal,

But since you want to run and aftermarket amp and i assume you will run you own RCA wires to the headunit....dont bother with the RCA on the GMOS harness.

??but i not sure what harness you use cause there are variances???

Old 08-23-2009, 11:50 PM

I got it figured out, thanks anyway. It turns out that black plug runs to the factory amp, but since i'm running my own amps I had no need for it so I just left it unplugged. This is how it came out

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 AM

GOT SPL

Looks good, guess i had the right idea on that black plug. did you buy a kit like that or did you make it. if it were me i rather have the monte carlo and the HU flipped, the HU on top and the montecarlo on bottom, but thats me!!!

Looks good the blue matches well.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit installs