Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Please HELP Aftermarket head-unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Please HELP Aftermarket head-unit

hello everyone...hope someone can help clarify something:

I have an 03 ss, non amplified, no onstar, with steering wheel controls. I recently bought a pioneer AVIC D3X headunit for my baby... ive gone to many places in search for the correct harness to add,that will not,in any which wayaffect with my stock settings, warning lights, or chimes. Everyone i speak to has something different to say: here are the reccomended harnesses:
- Metra GMRC01
- Metra GMRC02
- Metra 71-2003-1
-American International GWH-22

they are all fairly expensive harnesses, and according to some "experts" they told me that the newer GM models are fairly complicated when it comes to changing the radio, and one guy told methat i have to keepmy stock radio connected to the car (like in the trunk).

anyone had any similar issues or experiences with their aftermarket installations?
-btw i am adding a PAC SWIPS adapter for steering wheel control retention, and a Clifford G5Avantguard 5.1 alarm to the Monte, anything i need to know when combining all these things??? THANKS.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Please HELP Aftermarket head-unit

you don't need to keep the old head unit in the trunk, you will however loose the chimes and Message Center by replacing your stock head unit with an aftermarket one.

solution: wire in a peripheral

this is their website and the one i believe you need: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/#3

and here is where you can buy it affordably:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PERIPHERAL-GMCO-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM

No Onstar then this is what ya need (VT-GMRC-01)

Harness:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...01&tp=3486
Atenna Adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...10&tp=2569
Dash Kit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...22&tp=3121

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in many late model GM vehicles means losing the chime that warns the door is open, along with audible safety warnings.
Solution: Metra's VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data Bus Interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles and keep the door chime and all audible safety warnings.
Hook the VT-GMRC-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module in a location where the chime can be heard, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. The VT-GMRC-01 will not work with OnStar equipped vehicles. 1-year warranty.
Important Note: Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, you will need to purchase this VT-GMRC-01 adapter in order to keep your factory door chime (needed to keep audible safety warnings functioning) while providing a switched 12-volt power source for your new radio. If you do not use a compatible adapter when you replace your factory radio, you will disable the audible warning system in your vehicle.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but just wondering - if i retain the chimes and warnings with any of these harnesses, what will i do about accessing the car'scomputer (like reseting the CHANGE ENGINE OIL warning and such)

?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM

each thing has its own... You can look at your owners manual for the complete list but, it will utilize things like pressing the brake 3 times, turning the key to acc, brake again. Im sure a member will correct me if im wrong. ;-)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM

the **** to turn your head lights on and off to the right of the steering wheel, pull it in and out until you hear a beep, that will reset it. bonang's way works but you will loose the message center wiring in a peripheral you won't.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM

PAC makes your steering wheel controls kit.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Anyone successfully gotten past the "parking break restriction" on certain head units ??
I have a 2003 and just upgraded to amultimedia aftermarket head unit that also does navigation and dvd playback. There is a "safety" precaution that does not allow simple tasks like enter an address to navigate to while driving or even stopped.... you must have the emergency break on...

this is accomplished by a wire that is connected directly to the wire that would light up the rede-brake indicator in the dash... now on some cars it has been worked around by making the car think that the ebrake is always on (older cars) but as we all know if you have tried this the 00-05 monte makes a very annoying dinging sound when it is put in gear if the car thinks the ebrake is on....

i guess my question is basically this: Anyone ever find a workaround (that does not have a very annoying side effect) to the e brake multimedia restriction?

thanks in advance for anyfeedback ......all is welcomed and encouraged

Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM

Welcome to MCF Casey!!!

There is a bypass for it but you need to search Ebay for your headunit name and the word bypass. It would have been more helpfull if I knew the name of the headunit.

Below are 2 from Ebay search- Alpine Bypass

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-TR-7-Alpine-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-Bypass-for...QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 AM

thanks a lot 04 .. your the man

sorry i guess the type of head unit would probably help.... i just thought it was more general

the head unit i got is sweet and looks a lot like yours... its the CLarion MAX675VDv2....
i had the Pioneer Avic D2 but it was stolen out of my car last year.... i just got over it and started building the inside back up..... they also took my slim ps2 that was installed and about $3,000 worth of dvds and games that were not covered by insurance, the only thing i got compensation for was the head unit itself...so iguess it took me awhile to recover...

thanks for the help man....i did find that bypass i was lookin for

Quick Reply: Please HELP Aftermarket head-unit