Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6.5" Door Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Have you listened to the factory system in a Monte? You think that sounds like more than 200 watts of power? I don't, I think it sounds like about the same power you could expect from an aftermarket deck, but without the increased SQ.

I think it's closer to 20-25 watts per channel rms, but your point is made and very true. Except for the distortion part, but I guess that could be true if you get a little carried away with the volume ****.

I was just looking at an owners manual online for a pioneer deck and it does say 22 watts rms but at 5% Total Harmonic Distortion. If you buy a decent amplifier they are usually rated at less than .1% Total Harmonic Distortion, and once you get into some high end amps they are less than .001% Total Harmonic Distortion. Decks dont put out much power and what they do put out is not very good.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by zwc0442
I was just looking at an owners manual online for a pioneer deck and it does say 22 watts rms but at 5% Total Harmonic Distortion. If you buy a decent amplifier they are usually rated at less than .1% Total Harmonic Distortion, and once you get into some high end amps they are less than .001% Total Harmonic Distortion. Decks dont put out much power and what they do put out is not very good.
The fact is, especially in an automobile, the amplifier (in your head unit or external)is the least of your worries. Speakers used for mids and highs commonly produce between 1% and 5% THD and for subwoofers the numbers can easily reach 10%. This doesn't even take into account all of the resonances of all of the plastic and metal panels in the vehicle.

Don't misunderstand what I said as meaning head units put out perfectly clean power, or sound better than external amps. The fact of the matter is that unless you get happy with the volume ****, any distortion present in your system you won't be able to hear anyway so the moral of the story is don't get carried away with the volume **** and push the deck harder than it's meant to be pushed.