Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

replacing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Default replacing speakers

to keep things brief my window has been squeaking and i figured out that it is the felt strip on the inside and ordered one for each door from chevy. so i figured since i will have my door panels off i will replace my speakers since they get a little staticy sometimes. but to get to my question with most speakers having a higher resistance then factoy do you think i would have to replace the amp(really don't want to) or is there some good speakers that will sound at least as good as the factory.

well i tryed to keep it short lol

Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 PM

You don't necessarily need to replace your stock amplifier. You can simply look for speakers with the right impedance (probably 2 ohms) and look for the right size that fits your car. I made a couple clicks around and found that sonic electronix has some choices that will probably fit. You can look elsewhere for more brands and better prices but this is to show you.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc..._id=35&f_31=97

Now they will more than likely sound better than stock but which speaker is better than the other is opinionated. Just look at the reviews and determine which one best suits you. Remember to find ones relatively close to your amplifiers output in RMS.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM

very helpful thanks for the input

Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by White04monte
to keep things brief my window has been squeaking and i figured out that it is the felt strip on the inside and ordered one for each door from chevy. so i figured since i will have my door panels off i will replace my speakers since they get a little staticy sometimes. but to get to my question with most speakers having a higher resistance then factoy do you think i would have to replace the amp(really don't want to) or is there some good speakers that will sound at least as good as the factory.

well i tryed to keep it short lol
Get 2ohm speakers if you can, that way you'll get the max output from your amp. I replaced mine w/4ohm speakers and while it sounds better than stock, doesn't get quite as loud due to the increased resistance and reduced output from the amp as a result.

I also highly suggest putting some sound dampening material on the door, it'll keep out more of the resonant noise as well as make your speakers sound much better. And you won't have turn the volume up as loud either because instead of the door absorbing the energy from the sound waves hitting it, the dampening will redirect those waves back into the cabin resulting in louder, more crisp sound.

I just installed some SecondSkin Damplifier Pro this weekend and all I can say is WOW!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

sound deadening is awesome, and stock sucks if you can afford it replace it.

i would recommend cascade spray deadening, and dynamat extreme.

if you have to replace your stock stuff, do your research.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

IMO, SecondSkin > *