Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New ZZP DownPipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I wouldn't bother spending $50 on a ceramic coated crossover.
I agree. You'd be better off buying some $15 header wrap from Summit and wrapping the stock crossover pipe- same benefit (cooler intake charge since you aren't baking the throttle body/intake pipe), without the hassle of fighter the back crossover pipe bolts. And it's cheaper. Win-win-win.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, I completely forgot about the fact that there is a 90% chance you will snap off one of the crossover bolts and be stuck with a lot of twisting and fighting just to get it.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I swear they snap if you look at them funny. I snapped both rear crossover studs on my stock stuff when removing it to install my headers- I barely cranked on them at all and SNAP, broke. Made me nervous about the rear headers bolts, but they all played nice- luckily!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I felt the ceramic coated cross over pipe was nto better dollar-to-improvement item. I felt heat wrap or even self coating with a paint that offers thermal insulating might yield a similiar benefit, but I'll pass on all that for now.

From what I know, the PLOG would be a good addition to completely round out the exhaust and be done with that phase. Then look at things like the HV3 insert and ER Rockers. Eventually a custom tune to finish off everything.

As for my L67 throttle body, if I find it to be a fruitless venture, then it was a cheap fruitless venture (I litterally have very little cost in the T-body and it should remain that way start to finish). Just a little time.
I based a lot of the T-body swap idea off this info (and figured getting my hands on a salvage one was cheap enough, it was worth playing with):
http://www.getoverkilled.ca/pdf/overkill-l36-tb.pdf

Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM

That looks really nice The_Maniac, I actually have the same exact car as you only its red and I'm glad you posted this. Ive been having trouble finding out exactly what to order from zzp so if you don't mind do you remember what it was exactly? such as the model...option 2.....option 3....obviously you got a prepaid label for your other cat.

Im assuming you got the 2.5 inch Bolt in with Cat(+$80.00) and the front/rear gaskets for option 3 but im just making sure, thanks again for the pics and im glad you got a nice boost from it, hoping to get the same gains you got

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM

I based a lot of the T-body swap idea off this info (and figured getting my hands on a salvage one was cheap enough, it was worth playing with):
http://www.getoverkilled.ca/pdf/overkill-l36-tb.pdf

Sounds like the outlet if modified on this to fit the L36 UIM.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tzarm
Ive been having trouble finding out exactly what to order from zzp so if you don't mind do you remember what it was exactly? such as the model...option 2.....option 3....obviously you got a prepaid label for your other cat.
No problem. Here's the run down of what I ordered:
1 - 2.5" 304SS Bolt in with Cat
2 - Add rear O2 ext for 04+ GP
Note: Option 2 is what I ordered. I found I did NOT need the extension! I am sending it back for a refund when I return my old pipe. I would assume (and you may want to verify) that you just need Add rear O2 bung in offroad pipe.
3 - Add front and rear gaskets
4 - Prepaid label for cat credit (I have NO use for the old pipe and cat, good bye and I'll take the store credit).

I hope that helps!! So far, mine has not thrown the P0420 code some people mentioned (I know in chatting with Chibi he said it was a while before that code popped up on him). If it does, I think I am going to first try the spark-plug anti-fouler "fix" I've read a LOT of people have done. Though, I noticed while under the Monte, I will have to "mod" that fix (no room on the Monte to extend the O2 sensor out, so I will need to incorporate a 90 degree elbow and hope for the best). But so far, smooth sailing (and it looks like my MPG may be increasing a touch, we'll see when I finish off the tank).

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
Sounds like the outlet if modified on this to fit the L36 UIM.
I might need to start a new thread on this topic. But eh, I will continue to share....
I have never taken the T-body off the :36 and FINALLY found pics of what people were talking about with the "weird" L36 outlet. It leaves me two options:
1. - Use the L67 gasket and mount the T-Body as is (once I do the modding I plan to do) and see what happens.
2. - Fill all the back spaces of the L67 with epoxy and grind it out to match the mounting surface of the L36. Thus, use the L36 gasket for the job.

I lean option 2. I base this on GM probably had a reason for that shape (probably how it forced the air to circulate into the intake and not using that shape could be a negative in performance).
After giving that some thought, low and behold, I found a guy that did a lot of what I was just thinking:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...heck=955418009
So I think I am destined to mimic that idea and see what happens (I plan to swap all my sensors to the L67 T-Body). And if I find I am not pleased with the results, I spent a bunch of time, little money and still have my original T-Body to pop back in place.

Once I finsish and "test" this home-brew mod, I will post it on my web site (and share on the forum). It's going to be a while (it's "low" on the priority list).

Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM

(I plan to swap all my sensors to the L67 T-Body
No need...they're all the exact same.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM

I did the N* TB, Plog, crossover, plugs, ported M90, T-stat, and ported LIM all at one time. It ran like crap and I drove it to Milzy's for the tune. He did a great job on the tune.