Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

MAF write up???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Default RE: MAF write up???

The S2 TB is an okay mod, I was just posting the link to show you where your MAF was. The gains they are getting is by removing all the aluminum that normally surrounds the stock MAF- blocking flow.

What kinda goals and budget do you have, and what mods do you already have?

I would say two of the bigger bang for the buck mods NA are a set of used S&S or similar headers (under $300), or some used ER or 1.9 modded stock rockers (usually $225 or so). The next biggest bang for the buck would be an L67 top swap- but the entry price isa little higher at $500-1000, and its more labor intensive.

The HV3 and ported TB are both OK mods, but you need to be realistic about your goals. Modding NA starts getting very expensive for little gain once you get past basic bolt ons- and with how cheap top swaps have become, thats always becoming a better alternative.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The goals that i would like to see my car do is something that gives the sleek look of the body some backup. The car looks aggressive, so lets make it be aggressive. Im not a mechanic, and by definition im probably the opposite. I do like to work with my hands but afraid that im gonna screw my car up someone even with simple mods. I'd realistically like to add 40-60 horse to the car over time, without adding a s/c or turbo. So far what i've bought is just the SLP CAI. I dont really wanna take the car out of the "stock look" under the hood, thats why i chose the SLP. Peformance and its not so flashy. i also have a hypertech programmer 3. The other parts as posted in previous posts have been sent back. I was thinking of doing pacesetter headers to H pipe to borla XR-1 exhaust, but is H pipe even possible with our cars or would it be dumb?I did like the performance gains from the HV3 intake insert, and im sure that thestage1 throttle body could only help, even though it is only 3 mm wider than stock and its been significantly trimmed down.

Im a good saver with money so i may have to buy piece at a time, but shouldnt take me too long toget money for most parts.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

P.S.

I have only heard about rockers, are they labor intensive? I hate spending more money in labor than the actual part. I know its neccessary sometimes, but i try to avoid it. Unless someone wants to install them for me?!?! some cash and a 6 pack + the best company in the world while you go at it?!?! any takers?!?!?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM

I'd realistically like to add 40-60 horse to the car over time, without adding a s/c or turbo.
any reason you don't want to do these? the factory supercharger for an L67 would let you hit these goals way cheaper and quicker than sticking NA- and it looks so factory that you can evenuse the L67 engine cover and not really tell the difference.

Honestly, to hit a 60 horsepower gain NA, you're probably gonna have to do a cam. Rockers, headers, and a lot of other various supporting mods will maybe give you 20-30 at the wheels with a custom dyno tune (cranked timing on premium), but its gonna be pretty tough.

To make that kind of gain as cheap as possible- you're really looking at a cam or an L67 top swap.

but is H pipe even possible with our cars or would it be dumb?
you only have 1 exhaust pipe going back, you can't do an H with only 1 pipe.

I did like the performance gains from the HV3 intake insert, and im sure that thestage1 throttle body could only help
Honestly, if you're sticking NA and trying to gain 40-60 crank horse, especially without a cam, you're gonna have to do both- and many other BS mods that are really gonna rack up the money.

Big power on most any NA setup is usually made with ported heads and a cam. Rockers can simulate some of the cam's power, but you're talking about doing a sizeable power gain without touching the two biggest power producing areas.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:33 PM

For proof of my point, lets convert your figures to wheel horsepower numbers. Your 240 bhp = 192 whp and your 260 bp = 208 whp. So lets just say your goal is 195-210 whp.

Now lets look at the records for NA setups:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...amp;s=#1550443

From that, you can see real quick that if you managed to hit the numbers you're talking about NA, you would set the record for an L36 on a stock cam. Being honest with you- its not gonna happen. With those mods, figure 180-185 whp (thats with the 1.9 rockers). You can quickly see that many guys, even with a cam have a hard time putting down the numbers you're looking for.

If you did achieve ~210 whp like you want- that would mean you would have one of the top 3 NA L36's ever. I just don't see that happening without a lot of money and work. If you look at many guys on that list- at least have said F' it at one point and went boosted.

If you want my .02- save your pennies for an L67 top swap- the parts can be had for $500-750 and the car can still look stock under the hood with a factory L67 engine cover (your car will just look like a stock 04 s/c instead- which to 90% of other people out there, they wouldn't know the difference under the hood). That will let you hit your desired power with ease instead of dumping thousands of dollars into little things that are adding 1-2 whp at a time to hit your goal.

I have only heard about rockers, are they labor intensive? I hate spending more money in labor than the actual part. I know its neccessary sometimes, but i try to avoid it.
Take a look at your car,and look at your valve covers (you'll have to take off thatbig stock engine cover)- those have to come off, and the rockers are just beneath them. You can see there is a little in the way, but not much at all- its maybe a 2-3 hour install that you should be able to do yourself- its not bad at all.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Great answers. wow. thats pretty much everything i needed to hear haha. Ok, so you got me thinking now about adding a supercharger, but i dont know where to look. Is there a kit that i could buy that has EVERYTHING i would need? and is there a kit that is a step up from the stock s/c to give it a little more ponies than regular s/c SS's? Also, if i did do s/c, would i need to change any parts out that would fail under that being added to the engine (like tranny or anything like that?) kinda new, but i dont wanna break anything on it. i wanna keep this car for a long time and i need it to have a healthy life.

also, is there another way of supercharging our car without the M90? or is it in your opinion the best?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM

but i dont know where to look.
www.clubgp.com - look in the classifieds. It usually goes through a page or so of new classifieds a day, and all the parts necessary comes through probably at least twice a month.

Is there a kit that i could buy that has EVERYTHING i would need?
Yes, but its WAY cheaper to buy the stuff individually:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...kit-p-157.html

here is one on mymonte for $550 shipped:

http://mymonte.com/discussion/index.php?showtopic=25100

but you should be able to buy all the parts easily for under $750- I've seen some people get all the stuff under $400 buying it a piece at a time.

and is there a kit that is a step up from the stock s/c to give it a little more ponies than regular s/c SS's?
You will be faster than a stock s/c ss anyways, you have higher final drive (3.29 vs 2.93), and higher compression (9.4 vs 8.5).

Going to a supercharged setup you open up a ton more mods. Even with a stock top swap you should easily be 200 whp right off the bat- maybe more. You could always have the supercharger ported before you have it put on- or many other options, just depends how crazy you want to go.

Also, if i did do s/c, would i need to change any parts out that would fail under that being added to the engine (like tranny or anything like that?)
No, the engines are virtually identical, as are the transmissions. Don't do 1 wheel burnouts, and the tranny will be fine. Just make sure once you go messing with supercharger pullies that you dont go too small or you will chip pistons. If you can monitor parameters with that hypertech- you want to make sure your knock is at roughly 0. If you keep that in check, youll be fine.

also, is there another way of supercharging our car without the M90? or is it in your opinion the best?
Stattama used to sell a CSC kit that was $2500-3500.

or

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...-new-p-25.html

whenever they release it with their new twinscrew. However, you really need to have an IC, ported heads, and a cam to bother.

The thing about the M90- its all stock, reliable parts. There is no custom fab, it all bolts right in. I've seen guys get all the parts at $500 or less (some people on clubgp let stuff go crazy cheap), and you will be garaunteed at least 240 crank hp. For what you're looking to do- it sounds like the best bang for the buck option.