Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Does anyone have a write up?. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Default Does anyone have a write up?. . . .

Hey guys, I'm needing to change my sparkplugs, and I don't exactly know how to get to the back set of plugs. I was wondering if someone has made a write up for this? Or if anyone has done it and could help me.

I know you have to take off the engine mounts to roll the engine forward I think. But I'd kinda like to not screw something up, so some help would work great Please and thank you in advance.

I'm also wanting to change my coil packs to MSD packs too. . .I'm trying to change everything. . .sparkplugs. . .wires, and coil packs. . .Its just my car is my DD and I'm only 19 so I don't have alot of money to fix something if I screw it up.

So thanks ahead of time if anyone can post a write up for me on this.

MonteriderLS

Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Does anyone have a write up?. . . .

Ok MonteRiderLS here we go,

These Plugs/ wires are a HUGE pain in the but, so plan on doing it on a day when you have plenty of time to kill. The coil packs themselves on the other hand are cake. Its only two 6mm or 7mm on each pack.

First things first. Start off by unbolting you're front two engine mounts with the car parked in neutral and the e-brake applied.

Next, the easiest way to gain access to the rear for the "DIY Mechanic" Is to disengage the e-brake and push the car forward slightly until you begin to see the engine roll forward a little. It's always best to do this with two people because for one, the car is heavy, and for two, you need someone to put tire chalks or bricks and etc under the front wheels enough to keep it from rolling back to its original spot. Let me just stop and tell you now, you're NOT going to gain that much access, but regardless its better than nothing if you dont have a shop with an engine tensioner tool.

Now keep in mind, theres really nothing for you to break, or be worried about destroying. The worst that could happen is if you take all the plugs off the coils at the same time and have no clue where they go, or if you pull on an old plug wire in the back too hard and it breaks off, but just take you're time, do evrything steadily and be cautious, and in the end you will come out on top. Good luck

~Brandon

Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 AM

Hey thanks alot Brandon! I was wondering how to get the engine forward LOL. But how do you put it back? Back it up instead of forward? And do you possibly know how big of a mm we can go on our cars as far as spark plug wires?

This car is driving me insane and I've only had it for a few months. Now my damn mirror has got a big air bubble it in and I can't seem to figure out where it came from, or how to get it out. But thanks for the help with the plugs B.

MonteriderLS out.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 PM

the motor will go back into place very easily once you roll the car back a little bit, and then you just retighten the motor mounts.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 PM

somthing that will help for getting the rear plugs out use a 3 in extision on a swiveling spark plug socket makes life alot easier trucst me only like 5 bucks at you local parts house

as far as time it only takes about 30 min to do a tune up on our cars

Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 PM

I have to agree with Dess, I looked at my plugs today after reading this thread and it seems like a swivel set up is all you need.

That being said, I have not attempted it yet....

Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM

I definatly agree with you guys in regaurds to the swivel setup, its exactly what i use on the plugs....BUT, as far as getting the actual plug wires off, i perfer the method of rolling the block forward a little because i cant get my hands back there with enough leverage to pull the wires off. If the wires are old, it makes them even more difficult to remove. I know you can grab a plug wire tool, but even that is very difficult to reach into the back of the motor without pulling it up a little.