Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Repainting 06-07 Bowtie Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Repainting 06-07 Bowtie Write-up

This here is for those that wish to change the color of their bowtie (front, back, or both) on their 06-07 Monte Carlo.

Now you can get one of these here over(under)lays from GrafxWerks...

Overlay
(I'm not sure if these just go on top of the emblem or if they do in fact go underneath, anyone?)

OR

You can paint it yourself.
I'll explain how to do this here.

First step would be to get everything you'll probably be needing or you can just get it as you need it.

Here is what I used...

Plastic putty knife/cloth (used to take bowties off car)
- Other options are available, some ideas Emblem Removal

Some enamel paint is what I used and it's been working great, little bottle of paint for a model was more than enough.
- Or one of those overlay deals posted above if you don't want to paint it

Paintbrush if you're going to paint it

Some sort of thin object that can bend but still slice
- I used an eraser shield, hopefully anyone else that has done it will post what they used

Duck/Gorilla Tape
- Not to put the emblems back on!
- Use it to help get all the bits of foil off

Some double sided tape to stick the emblems back on
- I got mine from a Checkers for a few dollars

A blow drier is also very helpful to use whenever double sided tape needs to be removed

Step 1:
Remove the bowties that you wish to paint from the car

- I used the plastic putty knife and wrapped a cloth around it and slid it under each bowtie after they had sat in the sun for a few hours, this can take a bit of effort and time
- Be careful to not scratch your paint, unless you don't mind scratches...
- The link again to those other ideas: Emblem Removal

Step 2:
Clean all the junk left over from taking the bowties off

- The double sided tape likes to stay stuck to stuff, but if you are able to get it all off you're car/emblems will look that much better
- It is also recommended to get the tape off of the back of the emblem too as you will be replacing it with fresh stuff and an extra layer of tape will make you're emblem stick out from the car in the wrong way

Step 3:
Separate the yellowish plastic from the chrome(fake) backing

Clear plastic piece

- This is probably the part that took me the longest
- The plastic is not only inset, but the tape is behind it so this is where I used my eraser shield, looks like this...

- Quoting myself in another post:
ORIGINAL: God_Bot

Basically if you have something that's pretty thin and flexible, try to get that down around the edges on one side to try and loosen it up. Once it gets loosened up you should be able to slide whatever you're using further under the plastic, you might scrap some of the foil off or you might just slice the tape in half, either way works just fine.

Make sure you don't pry on the plastic very much, after sliding something under it after awhile and slicing up that tape it should start to pull away more and more. Once enough of the tape or whatever is cut, the plastic will kinda just pop off. I cut into it about an inch on all sides and then I was able to slide along the underside and it came right off.
Step 4:
Now you should hopefully have a piece of plastic with foil and bits of double sided tape on it

Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Default RE: Repainting 06-07 Bowtie Write-up

[align=center]Hey `Garrett, Great write up w/pic's....[/align][align=center]It's great to see contributions like this on the forum. I appreciate the time you[/align][align=center]took to put it together, & post. I was going to do that to my LT3 when I had it,[/align][align=center]but I got scared : ) & just took `off the rear Bowtie to `ghost `it.[/align][align=center]Is that you in the pic's : ) ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You are mak'in your Awesome Monte your own by[/align][align=center]your designed `Mod's.....Thanks for sharing/posting...`Space[/align][align=center]I like the overlay in the below [:-]Great Link
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Beautiful Look'in Chevrolet Monte Carlo [:-]Custom `Touch by `Garrett[/align][align=center][:-]Needs to be nominated for Monte of the Month [:-][/align][align=center]
Yep, it should get nominated It a super look'in Monte 4-$ure [8D]
[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/6D87EB2C46AB4693A0DCE1A854FBEC01.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/9BA7ECD619524B4FB8EFEC5CC6A3D98A.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Yeah, that was me last semester about a month before I got about 8 inches cut off of my hair

Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 AM

[align=center]Member's, please post your pic's `if you changed/painted/custom'ed[/align][align=center]your emblem's/bowtie's.[/align][align=center]Thanks[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Better do it now, we could be under attack : )[/align]
[:-]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/6C7CCA6AD9674CE284CF62603BEC41F4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/5395718679754DA3B3D440CDB58408D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM

[align=center]Hey `Garrett,[/align][align=center]When R U going to start taking orders for your designs,[/align][align=center]and custom `Emblems ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align]
Great Design
Will there be a MCF Discount $ $
Oh, R U go'in 2 sell T-Shirts with the logo ?
[:-] [:-]
DeSign's by Garret
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/BA0575CEEBC841E591128BBF4E44A435.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Garrett, that's TIGHT! It looks wth your paint. Very stealthy.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:38 PM

wow man, nice write up. looks killer.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Hey `Garrett,[/align][align=center]When R U going to start taking orders for your designs,[/align][align=center]and custom `Emblems ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align]
Great Design
Will there be a MCF Discount $ $
Oh, R U go'in 2 sell T-Shirts with the logo ?
[:-] [:-]
DeSign's by Garret
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/BA0575CEEBC841E591128BBF4E44A435.jpg[/IMG]
Someday Space, someday. I am a graphic design student so once I do get out there I hope I get the chance to design some vehicle graphics sometime...

I laughed pretty hard when I saw what you had done to my Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt, that's pretty sweet.