Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

MAF write up???

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MAF write up???

anybody have a write up on how to add a TB spacer and change just the MAF (bought a jet power flo) on a 2003 SS? searched and found nothing

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: MAF write up???

Well a throttle body spacer isnt too hard to install. You just remove the bolts for the throttle body and pull it away from the intake. Then in put the spacer in between the throttle body and intake with a gasket on each side and reinstall the intake. Im going to give you the same speach I give everyone that I hear that puts a throttle body spacer on a car with fuel injectors.It doest really do anything. Spacers were originally designed for carburetors so the fuel and air has more time to mix before it gets to the intake. Spacers also work on throttle body injection vehicles. They created a market for those types of induction and carried over into todays market because people still buy them. They are kind of pointless on vehicles with fuel injectors, because the fuel never goes through the throttle body, so adding extra space between the throttle body and intake doesnt matter cause the fuel mixes in the intake. Spacers may add a # or two from lengthening the intake, but not enough to make it worth while.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM

I keep learning something new everyday on the MCF.
Great write up Member mrl390 Matt.

I keep learning as I travel my journey of life on Planet Earth.

Thanks everyone that are still making post on the MCF, even
though it can be difficult under the present condition.

Wish the reader of this a `Happy
from `Space

Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 AM

I also agree- both the spacer and the MAF were a waste of money, especially if you're near stock. Should've done some rockers or something else.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Ya i actually do agree after reading some posts about the throttle body spacer now. waste of money, but since i already bought it, im gonna install it. cant do any harm. I do want the MAF though, i know im close to stock but plan for some great mods coming over the next few months. Pacesetter headers to borla XR-1 exhaust. Intake Manifold from ZZP, SLP rockers etc... one at a time as i get money. Just got the SLP intake and the programmer, so slowly but surely. Thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it. Im sure i will have more newb questions soon haha.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Just one more question though, how to install and find the MAF? is it located in the stock air tubing or is it on the throttle body itself? I havent got the new MAF yet, but it is shipping out soon because of backorders. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM

If the maf is an 85 mm external like I assume it is, then you'd need an extreme amoun of mods to even need it (ie M90 + lots of mods). You're not gonna need it NA.

Your stock maf is in your throttle body:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

Hopefully they don't just send you a new one of those- or I'd send it back.

Even if its the 85mm external- I'd still send it back- you can pick them up brand new for $40-100, way cheaper than the jet.

Also, by programmer, I hope you mean you got a real one- like Powrtuner or HPTuners and not the hypertech or any of that stuff.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 AM

If it's not an electrical part ... you ought to be able to get your money back if you return it.
Why even bother putting the thing on if it isn't going to do anything but effectively make the car heavier.
What? It "Looks cool" or something?

I run the Tech Section for a Yamaha Web Site. The 4-Pack of Carbs on XJ-Model Bikes are not designed to run with individual Air Cleaner Pods. Putting them on the bike effectively makes the bike nearly impossible to Fine-tune. But, they "Look so cool" ... so, the newbees cut-out the airboxes and install them anyway. Then, they expect the bike to run right and it can't.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

So what your suggesting to me is to return the TB spacer, and the MAF and then buy the stage 2 throttle body from zzp. To make sure, this one: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113. I will still have a little extra cash, anyone have any suggestions on what else to go with?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

or actually what if i got the stage 1 throttle body from zzp and then got the HV3 high velocity intake insert: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113
+
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113
=
good? pretty decent gain in numbers i'd expect right?
those 2 parts are about the same price i paid for the jet MAF and the throttle body spacer. and they should give me much better numbers after i get my car tuned.

should've done more homework on the parts before i decided to spend money. Thankfully the jet MAF didnt ship out yet so i just cancelled the order, save me a headache or sending it back. So let me know what you all think of that setup. thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF write up???